[McIDAS #MBP-359564]: Script to retreive SSEC Openarchive AREA files

Hi Kevin,

re:
> I need to download some GOES-8 data from the fantastic SSEC Openarchive that
> was mentioned in the February 2013 Unidata Newsletter
> (see
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/blogs/news/entry/free_satellite_archive_data_access)
> and demoed at last summer's workshop.

Excellent!

re:
> I can do this manually with IDV by loading the data and doing a local save,
> but of course, it would be faster to grab it with a script.

It would be a lot faster AND easier to grab the data you want using a
script.  One thing, however: I am not sure that the IDV has the capability
to write the data it gets from an ADDE server in McIDAS AREA format.
I think that storing the data in AREA format would be preferable for
the long term since it is a well-known and accepted international
standard for satellite imagery.  If the IDV can not write the data in
AREA format, then it would be better/easier to use McIDAS-X to do
the job (plus, it is very easy to script McIDAS command invocations).

re:
> Since, as the newsletter states, the data is stored on an ADDE server:
>
> "Any Unidata community member with a .edu e-mail address can request
> access to the archive dataset for non-commercial use. (Please read
> the community archive terms of use
> <http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/datacenter/openarchive/unidata/disclaimer.html>.)
> All data are accessible via the ADDE protocol using McIDAS-X, IDV, or
> McIDAS-V.
> (ADDE server: openarchive.ssec.wisc.edu - see "Info" links in the table below
> for details.) Registered users can access up to 5 GB per calendar month per
> user. Only archive satellite data (older than the previous calendar month)
> are available."
>
> Do you know how/if one could write a script to get all the hours/dates I want?

I think we can figure out an ISL script to load and save the data using
IDV services.  I know that I can put together a script of McIDAS IMGCOPY
invocations that would result in exactly what I think you want, a set of
images in McIDAS AREA file format.  I seem to remember that you setup
McIDAS on a test machine at UAlbany.  If this machine is still up and
accessible, it would be very easy to get a script written that would
copy the images you want.

re:
> Thanks!

No worries.

re:
> Hope your summer is going well.

It has been very nice in the Boulder area this summer, and especially
at my house.  Late spring snows (like a foot of snow each week for
a good stretch) and frequent rains this summer has kept things nice
and green, a necessity for preventing fires.  Other parts of Colorado
have not been so fortunate, however; there have been several very
destructive fires in Colorado this summer... I'm glad that they are
far away from where I live!

Ticket ID: MBP-359564
Department: Support McIDAS