[McIDAS #AME-140292]: TDF to AREA conversion

Hi Rogério,

re:
> Ok about this, so I'm iniciate on this work and in my first look is look
> like a hard job, could you confirm me some informations:

The job of converting TDS formatted images into McIDAS AREA files should
really not be that hard **IF** one had access to libraries that provided
callable interfaces to get "raw" data from the images.  I say "raw" since
I seem to remember that Terascan visible images are actually albedos, so
some conversion from raw counts has already been done.

re:
> to send files by LDM it needs to be on McIdAS AREA files,

No.  The LDM does not care what about the format of data products.  As
far as the LDM is concerned any aggregation of bytes can be turned into
an LDM/IDD product that can be sent to end users.

But, end users of packages like GEMPAK, McIDAS, IDV, McIDAS-V, etc. need
the images in AREA format since these packages do not understand the
Terascan TDS format.

re:
> there are not any program on unidata to convert other formats on it and
> to do this I need to create my code to write the header file and
> navigation, is this the only way?

We, Unidata Program Center, have no code that will convert imagery in
Terascan TDF format into _any_ other format.  Since we are not licensees
of Terascan, we do not have access to any programming libraries that
Terascan may or may not make available to its licensed users.  It would
be GREAT if CPTEC, who is a licensed user of Terascan and who should
have access to any Terascan libraries (if they, in fact, exist) could
create code that would _correctly_ convert images in Terascan TDS
format to McIDAS AREA format (which is a standard for satellite imagery).

Ticket ID: AME-140292
Department: Support McIDAS