[McIDAS #NZL-889040]: Request for McIDAS Download

Hi Musili,

re:
> Hello, last week I managed to download the McIDAS software. However, I
> unstalled it due to memory requirements in my PC.
> However, now I would like to run the software in a desktop which has better
> capability but I am unable to download the software.

It is very strange that you were able to download the software last week
but not this week.  Were you using the same login to the Unidata web
site this week as you did last week when the download worked?  In either
case, what is the email address you used for the web login?

re:
> I just finished my BSc Meteorology and currently am on internship where I
> deal with weather observations and forecasting. I would like to
> benefit from the software by being able to access and animate satellite
> images so as to monitor the evolution and decay of weather systems,
> among other uses.

If you are no longer associated with a university, the licensing agreement
that we have with the owners of McIDAS, the University of Wisconsin (UW)
Space Science and Engineering Center (SSEC), preclude us from letting you
use/continue to use the software.  Our license allows us to grant access
to our distribution of McIDAS to educational institutions.  In countries
outside of the U.S., the licensing is more restrictive in that McIDAS
must be used in the pursuit of a degree.  If you finished at your
university and moved to a different, non-university institution, we cannot
grant you access to McIDAS.  I apologize for this, but we must abide
by our licensing agreement, or we may lose the ability to distribute the
code at all.

re:
> When I try to download the feedback is (You don't have permission to access
> /downloads/mcidas/index.jsp on this server).
>
> I appreciate your kind assistance.

Please let me know if you are still associated with a university and, if so,
if your use of McIDAS-X would be in pursuit of a degree (e.g., PhD, etc.).

If you do not qualify for access to Unidata McIDAS, I strongly suggest
that you try using the IDV; the IDV _is_ freely available, and it can
do most, if not all, of the things that McIDAS-X can do _and_ lots more.

Ticket ID: NZL-889040
Department: Support McIDAS