[McIDAS #ECE-924432]: Creating and populating a local ADDE server

Hi Kevin,

re:
> Success!! Thanks very much!  I can confirm that I can indeed view point
> obs (METAR and RAOB) via IDV now, just by naming derecho as the server.

Excellent!  Do you want the satellite image processing/serving also?

re:
> Eventually I will probably install and enable ADDE on our main data server,
> cascade, but this should give me plenty of time to explore on my own system
> without affecting anyone else.

OK.

re:
> The main motivations for doing this were twofold:
>
> 1) Establish a longer archive of real-time point obs

We are doing this on adde.ucar.edu, adde.ssec.wisc.edu and
lead4.unidata.ucar.edu
at the moment.  The longer term store of POINT data is not accessed
through RTPTSRC, but, rather, through PTSRCALL.

re:
> 2) Host an archive of national radar mosaics, as we discussed at the
>    Usercomm meeting.

Excellent!

re:
> Regarding (2), one thing you mentioned was that the various radar composite
> products that Unidata sends out via LDM can be compressed.  It appears that
> there
> is very little further compression that can be achieved, however; running
> "gzip"
> on the n0r_130423_0157 product "reduced" the size from 1674108 to 1668775.
> Perhaps I just misunderstood you ...

The images in the Unidata-Wisconsin (UNIWISC aka MCIDAS), FNEXRAD, and NIMAGE
datastreams are already compressed.  A number of years ago, folks were forced
into uncompressing the images (using ldm-mcidas "decoders" like 'pnga2area',
and 'pnggtogini') before they were usable in GEMPAK or McIDAS.  We (Chiz and
I) added the capability for GEMPAK and McIDAS, respectively, to use the images
as transmitted without compressing them first.  Over the long term, this saves
a lot of disk space for those maintaining archives.  NB: I don't think that
WXP understands the compressed format(s), and I don't know if the IDV
understands
the compressed formats for GINI products.

re:
> Thanks again for all your assistance!

No worries.

I am hoping that if/when you setup McIDAS "for real", you will consider
opening your ADDE server so that community members can benefit.

re:
> Looks like you could get more snow come May Day ... crazy!

Yup, the high on Wednesday is supposed to be in the mid-20s (for Nederland,
not Boulder).  I am hoping that we get another foot in this wave, but
I am thinking that we will be lucky to get 4 inches.  We need the
water!!!

Ticket ID: ECE-924432
Department: Support McIDAS