[ldmMcidas #OJB-462098]: Help! Things are not working

Hi Paul,

re: I _really_ don't have any theory how the REDIRECTion backing store file got
damaged

> This is explainable by my trying to add a string where I did not do /"
> ahead of the string...it was only allowing me 12 characters...

No worries.  This would not damage the string table file STRTABLE.

re:
> but that was because I tried to create a string from the wrong directory. I
> am still amazed that there are two string tables.... so now things look to
> be remedied.

One should only modify/add strings to the string table from one's $MCDATA
directory.  Running TE (te.k) from a different directory will result
in another copy of STRTABLE being created.  Only one will be used,
however.

re: MCGUI not working
> This seems to be the last remaining problems.

I just solved this one... it was a typo in the distribution's
mcidas_env.sh file (installed in ~mcidas/admin/mcidas_env.sh).
The code was setting the environment variable MBIN instead
of MCBIN.  MCBIN is used in the MCGUI applications as the location
of Tcl/Tk files that need to be used by the GUI.  Since MCGUI was
not being set, its effective "value" was 'MCBIN=' (blank).  When
the MCGUI startup tried to use the value of MCBIN, it got
nothing, so it did not source the needed Tcl script files.

After correcting the typo in ~mcidas/admin/mcidas_env.sh and
then logging off and logging back on as 'mcidas', I was able
to bring up the MCGUI configuration GUI:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA
mcidas -config

Since this works, the full MCGUI should work also.

I will be updating the McIDAS-X distribution to include the fix
for my typo.

Sorry for the incredible hassles!!

Thanks for coming to our