[McIDAS #PIR-584729]: McIDAS Research Questions

Hi Rod,

(Tuesday morning)

re:
> Ok for the first part I am sorry I misread the GRAYOVER legend so that
> should be the right legend to use.

OK.

re:
> Now I tried to look at previous emails where it shows the legend with the
> corresponding values but when I tried coping that...it didnt work for some
> reason? I want the values to be on top of the legend. See research15.png
> Is it because my frame is too small?

I would guess that the frame being too small is the problem, but since we
didn't write GRAYOVER and since it is an XRD (X Research and Display) routine
(meaning that it is contributed by someone else), we can't fully support it.

re:
> To display that legend you told me seen on research15.png:
>
> "IMGDISP G13/ERAD27APR11 TIME=19:55 LATLON=33 87 GRAY=X X X 775 EU=CLW3
> REFRESH='EG;MAP FILE=OUTVHRES;MAP COUNTY=MS AL GA MCOL=7;GRAYOVER 999'"

Yes.  The operative thing in this command line is that several routines
are run after the image is displayed via the REFRESH= keyword clause.

re:
> So I tried duplicating that on LEGEND.GIF:
>
> IMGDISP LOC/AREAS.3203 4 LAT=34:00 88:20 GRAY=X X X 389 EU=CLW4 SF=YES
> MAG=3
> MAP LALO -2 INT=5 5 STATE=MS AL GA COUNTY=ALL MCOL=8
> MAP FILE=OUTVPOL MCOL=1 GRAYOVER

GRAYOVER is a command, not a parameter to MAP.  Because of this
it must be run individually.  The following two invocations are
equivalent:

MAP FILE=OUTVPOL MCOL=1; GRAYOVER

OR

MAP FILE=OUTVPOL MCOL=1
GRAYOVER

re:
> But I just go the color legend but no numbers on top of it. So I dont know
> what's wrong with that because it should work.

Probably frame size, but again, since we didn't write GRAYOVER, I can't
be 100% sure.

re:
> As for the second point
>
> Yes sorry that is what I meant. That I expect that the min/max values in
> the Effective Radius images should be coincident with min/max values of
> radar images. I was trying to ask is there way that can  be done on McIDAS
> to somehow convert that to the original projection.

Convert what?  The radar?  Or, are you asking if you can remap back to
the original satellite image?

Comment:

- the original reason that a small frame size was adopted was to
  make the ASCII output files of AXFORM manageable in size

  If this is no longer needed, it would be better in a number of ways
  to revert back to using larger frame sizes.

re:
> Also I need to remove the frame number 4 so there could be space for
> represented color values in the legend.

The frame number is display in graphics level 3 (which in the default
graphics table is yellow).  In McIDAS, you can erase all graphics in
a color level using the ERASE command:

ERASE G LEV=3

See the built in HELP for ERASE for more details.

NB: this erases everything plotted in color level 3, so if you have
any other graphics in color level 3 they will disappear.

Ticket ID: PIR-584729
Department: Support McIDAS