[McIDAS #LPF-902585]: SuSE for McIDAS-X and ADDE server...

Hi Matthew,

re:
> I've got a question for you on McIDAS-X and ADDE server running off of
> SuSE -- do you know if any Unidata sites or yourself have successfully
> run recent versions of McIDAS-X and an ADDE server on SuSE?

Yes, I have run successfully run Unidata McIDAS-X (which, or course,
includes ADDE) under OpenSuSE, but that was several version back
for OpenSuSE.  I haven't tried more recent versions of OpenSuSE

re:

> If so, what version?

OpenSuSE v10.3, I think.  I have built and run in OpenSuSE 10.3 as a
VMware virtual machine on my Windows7 laptop.  I also built Unidata
McIDAS-X under OpenSuSE running under OpenSuSE v11 on a Linux machine
at the Caribbean Institute of Meteorology and Hydrology (CIMH) in
Barbados.

re:
> Any thing special about compiler versions, etc as well??

I can't remember there being any thing special needed to build
Unidata McIDAS-X/-XCE under OpenSuSE at the CIMH.  I did need to
change the system logging daemon from syslog-ng to syslogd so
that LDM logging would work, however.

re:
> Thanks so much!!

No worries.

Question:

- do you have a machine with a current version of Open SuSE running
  on it?

  If yes, what version of OpenSuSE is it running?

  And, does it have a full software development environment installed
  on it?

  And, can it be made accessible via SSH to machines in the unidata.ucar.edu
  domain?

If the answer to all of these is yes, then I would be happy to try installing
the most recent version of Unidata McIDAS-X/-XCD on the machine to see if
there are any snags.

Ticket ID: LPF-902585
Department: Support McIDAS