[McIDAS #RDQ-637778]: Re: New Questions Regarding My Research

Hi Rod,

re: unexpected snags in calibrating effective radius images

> Ok when the failure is fixed or if you found out the problem, would
> you notify me?

I figured out what was going on...

After taking a closer look at the header of one of the 27 April 2011
effective radius image, I saw that, even though the image was identified
as a PRD (1-based AREA header word 52), it still had a header word that
was indicating that its calibration should be GVAR (1-based AREA header
word 57).  This is undoubtedly a remnant of the process Dan used to create
the effective radius images.  Not to worry, the header word is easily
changed using IMGCHA.

After finding the thing that was tripping me up, I wrote a script
(CalibrateEffrad.sh which is attached) that modifies all effective
radius images in a directory by:

- linking an effective radius image to $MCDATA/AREA2000

- running IMGCHA to change the original source type of the
  image from GVAR to 'PRD ':

  IMGCHA LOC/AREAS.2000 OTYPE=PRD

- running PRDUTIL to add calibration to the image

  This time, I decided that one significant decimal place for
  the ERAD values was sufficient (I previously was saving 4).
  The PRDUTIL invocation run was:

  PRDUTIL ADD LOC/AREAS.2000 1 RICE -1095  515 0 255 ERAD 10 -2139062144

You should extract the script attachment and write it into the
/home/rod/mcidas/bin directory and change its mode so that it is executable:

cd /home/rod/mcidas/bin
-- copy CalibrateEffrad.sh to this directory
chmod +x CalibrateEffrad.sh

After copying CalibrateEffrad.sh to /home/rod/mcidas/bin, you can use
the script to calibrate all of the effective radius images in your
$MCDATA/archive/27apr2011 directory as follows:

<as the user 'rod' from the Linux command line>
cd $MCDATA
CalibrateEffrad.sh $MCDATA/archive/27apr2011

Once the images are calibrated, you can use IMGPROBE to list out effective
radius (ERAD) values; contour them, etc.

Here what I did to show the steps to run in a McIDAS-X session:

SF 1
ERASE F
IMGDISP G13/ERAD27APR11 TIME=20:25 LAT=34:45 87:49 EU=CLW3 SF=YES MAG=3
MAP LALO COUNTY=ALL STATE=MS AL GA MCOL=8
MAP FILE=OUTVHPOL MCOL=1

IMGPROBE CONT BOX RICE SIZE=500 700 CINT=5 CLIM=-150 0 COL=7 DASH=YES LHGT=0
LAT=34:45 87:49 MODE=N
IMGPROBE CONT BOX RICE SIZE=500 700 CINT=5 CLIM=0 60 COL=6 DASH=NO LHGT=0
LAT=34:45 87:49 MODE=N

I saved the display as a GIF file, rad_Contours_20110427_2025.gif, and attached
it
to this reply.

Comments:

- the frame size in my McIDAS-X session is 950 BY 1225

  Because of my frame size, I chose to display the 20:25 effective radius image
  blown-up by a factor of 3 (MAG=3 on IMGDISP command).  This makes things
  easier for me to see.

- I ran IMGPROBE twice to display the erad values below 0 in one dashed color
  and the values of erad greater than 0 in a different solid color

Recommendation:

It would be good if you could get hold of an external monitor that has
greater than 1024x600 resolution and hook it up to your netbook.  My
netbook (a 3 year old Acer Aspire One) drives my 1920x1200 monitor
very nicely.  My thinking is that with a larger output area afforded
by an external monitor, you could be McIDAS sessions that have much larger
frames, and this would allow you to see things more easily.

Ticket ID: RDQ-637778
Department: Support McIDAS