[McIDAS #GHF-649340]: Question about creating another GROUP/Descriptor for IR

Hi Rod,

re: change the McIDAS session frame size
> Ok I did that.

OK.

re:
> But I have this has:
>
> AXFORM 3000 EFFRADAPR2720111955 FTYPE=ASC NAV=YES 1 UNIT=TEMP
> AXFORM: No calibrations valid for this area
> AXFORM 3100 IRAPR2720111955 FTYPE=ASC NAV=YES 1  UNIT=TEMP
> AXFORM: No calibrations valid for this area
> BATCH: BATCH done /home/rod/mcidas/data/EFFRAD4.BAT

There are two things going on here:

1) the headers of the Effective Radius images that you have indicate that
   the images are for BAND 1 which normally indicates a VISible image for
   GOES

   Whoever created the Effective Radius images did not change the
   BAND number to indicate that the values in the image were
   TEMPeratures (and they well _not_ be temperatures).  You
   were telling AXFORM to output TEMP (TEMPerature) values for
   each image pixel, but since they are not labeled as temperatures,
   AXFORM issued a warning/error message.

2) since AREA3100 was created first as an identical copy of a remapped
   Effective Radius image, it too will contain a BAND number that
   indicates that it is VISible image data

   Since you are remapping an IR image into AREA3100 (LOC/AREAS.3100),
   we know that the result really does contain temperature values.
   To change the header of the remapped IR iamge, an additional line
   has to be inserted after the IMGREMAP that changes the remapped image
   header to indicate that it is, in fact, 10.7 um IR data which can be
   interpreted as TEMPeratures.

The changes you need to make to your BATCH file (which I believe is
/home/rod/mcidas/data/EFFRAD4.BAT) are:

change:

IMGREMAP G13/IR27APR11 LOC/AREAS.3100 TIME=19:55

to:

IMGREMAP G13/IR27APR11 LOC/AREAS.3100 TIME=19:55
IMGCHA LOC/AREAS.3100 BAND=4 SS=180

change:

AXFORM 3000 EFFRADAPR2720111955 FTYPE=ASC NAV=YES 1 UNIT=TEMP

to:

AXFORM 3000 EFFRADAPR2720111955 FTYPE=ASC NAV=YES 1 UNIT=BRIT

After making these changes, your BATCH file should run with no
errors.

re:
> Also when doing the ASCII files for Effective Radius and IR with
> temperature does changing the frame affect the number values of the
> ASCII files vs. if it was larger frames?

No.  The frame size only affects the displayable region.  The number
of pixels in the remapped images is set by the SIZE= keyword in the
first IMGREMAP invocation, SIZE=320 320.

Ticket ID: GHF-649340
Department: Support McIDAS