[McIDAS #QUK-194683]: 64 bit Mcidas-X

Hi Fred,

re:
> The University is converting computers from 32 bit to 64 bit processors.
> My current Mcidas-X is running on a 32 bit workstation with Redhat Linux.
> Before I allow the IT staff to upgrade my computer, I would like to know
> if there are any problems or tricks needed to install Mcidas-X on 64 bit
> computers.

There should be no issues in building/installing/running McIDAS-X on
64-bit Linux machines.  In fact, my McIDAS development environment
is a CentOS 6.3 x86_64 virtual machine that is running in VMware Player
on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop.  As you probably know, CentOS is
the free distribution of RedHat Enterprise, so your new environment
will likely be the same as the one that I "live" in.

The one caveat that I must throw in quickly is that SSEC does not
support McIDAS-XCD in a 64-bit environment.  I, on the other hand,
have had much better success running all parts of McIDAS-XCD under
64-bit Linux than under 32-bit Solaris x86.  Given my experience,
I have no hesitation in recommending the move from a 32-bit
environment to a 64-bit environment for you.

Ticket ID: QUK-194683