[McIDAS #NIE-529635]: problems compiling McIDAS v2009 on CentOS 6.3

Hi Robert,

re:
> Manually sourcing ~/admin/mcidas_env.csh worked,

Excellent!

> but why did my .cshrc file not work. Here it is (just
> copied from the Unidata page):
>
> umask 002
> # McINST_ROOT and VENDOR non-conforming shell defines
> # # needed to build McIDAS
> setenv McINST_ROOT $HOME
> setenv VENDOR -gfortran
> #
> # # NOTE: uncomment the line that sets MySQL_ROOT if you want to
> # #       build with MySQL support:
> # #       - leave the value blank if MySQL is installed in a standard
> # #         location
> # #       - specify the value as the root directory of the MySQL
> # #         installation if MySQL is not installed in a standard
> # #         location
> # # setenv MySQL_ROOT TRUE
> #
> if ( -e $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.csh ) then
> source $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.csh
> endif
> #

I have no idea why this code did not result in the sourcing of
your .cshrc file ** unless ** the settings on your terminal
window did not specify that it is a login window.  For instance,
if you simply opened a new terminal window (Xterm or terminal)
and the settings for new terminal windows did not specify
that it was a login window, then .login and .cshrc would not
be read.

I am in my CentOS environment at the moment, so I am unable
to give a blow-by-blow for setting the login window property
for a new terminal.  I recommend looking at the configuration
options for new terminal windows and see if you can find and
set the needed setting.

Ticket ID: NIE-529635