[McIDAS #REN-443906]: High resolution McIDAS grids

Hi Fred,

re:
> I am working on a project which needs future "satellite images".  I want
> to generate them from the 12 km NAM model grids converted into images.
> While I can access the NAM grids in McIDAS gridded format using the
> RTGRIDS ADDE data, those grids are coarser resolution then I want.  The
> ADDE group RTGRIBS and RTGRIB2 would appear to have the higher
> resolution data (such as the RTGRIBS/NAM-USLCAWI4), but when I do a
> GRDLIS on these data, there are no grids found (all these are on
> ADDE.UCAR.EDU).

This means that there is some problem with the processing of the model
output for McIDAS ADDE use.  I will look into this and let you know when
it is fixed.

re:
> Are the higher resolution model grids from the NAM and
> GFS available for the McIDAS through the Unidata or other feeds?

Numerical model output is available in three LDM/IDD datastreams:

HDS     - lower resolution model output from NOAAPort
NGRID   - higher resolution model output from NOAAPort
CONDUIT - highest resolution model output that is not available in NOAAPort

If you are looking to grab the model data on a sporadic basis, you would
do well to use the THREDDS interface to the data that we make available
on thredds.ucar.edu:

motherlode.ucar.edu

  THREDDS Data Server (TDS)
  http://motherlode.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog.html

    NCEP Model Data/
    http://motherlode.ucar.edu/thredds/idd/models.html

Try the OPENDAP link found in the last page.

Just so you know, the IDV can use the data in a THREDDS catalog directly.

Question:

- exactly what are you looking for?

  What I mean is: do you want the original GRIB2 files for specific
  fields, or do you want to be able to work with the data via McIDAS-X?

Ticket ID: REN-443906
Department: Support McIDAS