[McIDAS #KUC-159541]: Memory errors with GINI Local Server in McIDAS-X

Hi Clay,

I assume that you are the same Clay Davenport that I used to interact with
at UVa?  If yes, I trust things have been good for you at NOAA!

re:
> The reason you are having so much trouble reading the image file you are
> grabbing is because it is not a blended TPW file, but a blended Rain Rate
> file - that's the "RRdata" in the path name.

Ah Ha!  This makes complete sense now!

re:
> It uses the same brightness to
> rain rate conversions as the AMSU and SSMIS products used by SAB.

Do you happen to know what the BRIT -> RR relationship is?  If no, I
can search on the web.

re:
> I don't believe we distribute the blended TPW through the satepsanon
> server.

The SATEPSANONE.NESDIS.NOAA.GOV ADDE server has dataset definitions for
both BLTPW and BLPWTM, but neither dataset has any elements

DATALOC ADD PUB SATEPSANONE.NESDIS.NOAA.GOV

DSINFO IMAGE PUB
BLPWTM          20    Blended TPW Time composite
BLTPW           20    Blended TPW composite

re:
> We do distribute it through our ADDE PLR server, as PLR/BLTPW_GPS,
> and that is on the 176-251 = 0-75 mm scale.

Thanks for pointing this out.  I have access to the PLR ADDE
server (SATEPSDIST4E.NESDIS.NOAA.GOV);  I am able to check
BLTPW type images:

DSINFO I PLR

        Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: PLR

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
BLPWTM          20    Blended TPW Time composite
BLTPW           20    Blended TPW composite
BLTPWANMCIRA    25    24 hrs Blended TPW Anomaly from CIRA
BLTPWCIRA       25    24 hrs CIRA Blended TPW Composite
BLTPW_ANOM_C    25    24 hrs Blended TPW Anomaly from CIRA
BLTPW_GPS       25    24 hrs Blended TPW composite with GPS data
BLTPW_PCT       25    24 hrs Blended TPW Anomaly composite

I see images in BLTPW_GPS and BLTPW_PCT, but no others; these
two datasets may are useful, but not sufficient.

re:
> Since I'm not sure what you have access to, let me know what you need and
> I'll figure out a way to get the data where you can get it...within the
> constraints I have to deal with here.

Question:

- would it be possible to get some example GINI images from the
  BLTPW_GPS and BLTPW_PCT datasets?

  These would be most helpful!

Comment (for you AND for SSEC MUG folks who are CCed on this exchange):

- one of the challenges for creation of valid calibration blocks
  is that the band number for the BLTPW_GPS images is the same
  as for the BLTPW_PCT images

Ticket ID: KUC-159541
Department: Support McIDAS