[McIDAS #LWT-900470]: Installing McIDAS on CentOS 5

Hi Nathan,

re:
> Can McIDAS be installed on a CentOS 5 machine,

There should be no problems installing McIDAS-X on a CentOS 5
machine.  I would recommend that, if at all possible, you upgrade
your machine to CentOS 6, however.  I work in 64-bit CentOS 6.3
as my development environment for McIDAS-X.

re:
> and are there any special
> instructions I need to compile McIDAS on CentOS 5?

There is nothing about CentOS 5 that is any different than any
other OS with respect to building McIDAS-X.  The check list is
reasonably short:

- make sure that you have a full development environment installed
  on your machine

- create a 'mcidas' account

- make sure that the 'mcidas' account has sufficient disk space in
  which to download, unpack, build and install McIDAS-X

The following list of packages that I needed to install in Fedora 14
and CentOS 6 for the McIDAS build to succeed:

Fedora 14:

Development
--------------------------------------
gcc
gcc-gfortran
gcc-c++
byacc
flex
ncurses
ncurses-devel
libX11-devel
libXt-devel
libXext-devel

kernel-devel
kernel-headers

Fonts
--------------------------------------
xorg-x11-fonts-misc     <- for mctext
xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi   <- for McGUI
xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi    <- for McGUI

CentOS 6.1 (which automatically upgraded to 6.2 and later to
6.3):

Development
--------------------------------------
gcc-gfortran
gcc-c++
byacc
flex
ncurses-devel
libXt-devel
libXext-devel

Fonts
--------------------------------------
xorg-x11-fonts-misc     <- for mctext
xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi   <- for McGUI
xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi    <- for McGUI

Question:

- will you be installing packages needed for software development,
  or will this be done by your system administrator?

  The nice thing about RedHat OS variants (e.g., Fedora, CentOS,
  Scientific Linux, etc.) is that one can use 'yum' for package
  management.  Someone with 'root' privilege can install all of
  the needed packages in a few minutes (depending on one's Internet
  connection speed).  After that, the McIDAS build (as 'mcidas', not
  'root') should proceed smoothly.

Ticket ID: LWT-900470
Department: Support McIDAS