[McIDAS #VKK-814977]: Protocol info for school project

Hi Sean,

re:
> My name is Sean Anderson, I am a senior at Overlake High School in
> Washington.  I am currently working on a school project in which I
> need to list descriptions for all the protocols registered in IANA.
> I noticed that according to IANA, the following protocol is registered
> under your name:
>
> mcidas over port 112
>
> I tried to find information about this protocol online, however my efforts
> were fruitless.  I would greatly appreciate if you could send me a short
> description about this protocol, or a link to a description online.

Briefly, McIDAS uses/contains a data server component named the Abstract Data
Distribution Environment (ADDE).  Client instances of McIDAS (either McIDAS-X
or McIDAS-V), the IDV and other ADDE-enabled applications (e.g., IDL, Matlab)
contact an ADDE server on port 112 with a request for a variety of types
of data (IMAGE, GRID, POINT, TEXT).  The server/subserver component of ADDE
is then EXECed by the main ADDE listener and it attends to the data requested
by the client.

Is this enough detail for your project?

re:
> Thank you very much,