[McIDAS #BJT-176673]: Question about displaying the Satellite Image On McIDAS-X

Hi,

re:
> In addition....
>
> When I did this command for the effective radius....It's displaying a
> different region than the visible satellite image. Why is that?

The resolution of the effective radius product is different than
the resolution of the VIS image.

re:
> Effective radius command:
> IMGDISP G13/EFFRAD.29 LATLON=33 87 MAG=1 -2 REFRESH ='EG;MAP
> FILE=OUTVHPOL;MAP COUNTY= ALL STATE=MS AL GA MCOL=8' (Research1.png)
>
> IMGDISP G13/EFFRAD.29 LATLON=33 87 MAG=2 2 REFRESH ='EG;MAP
> FILE=OUTVHPOL;MAP COUNTY= ALL STATE=MS AL GA MCOL=8' Got me closer but i
> want the same domain as I had it with my visible satellite image.
> (Research2.png)
>
> vs.
>
> IMGDISP G13/VIS27APR11.29 LATLON=33 87 MAG=1 -2 REFRESH ='EG;MAP
> FILE=OUTVHPOL;MAP COUNTY= ALL STATE=MS AL GA MCOL=8' (Research3.png)

You can see the difference in resolution using IMGLIST:

IMGLIST G13/VIS27APR11.29 FORM=ALL
IMGLIST G13/EFFRAD.29 FORM=ALL

re:
> Also its displaying a blue background for some reason which I dont want
> (See Research 4).

This is due to the enhancement specifying the color of the very lowest
values in the blue.  Try loading the image with this same enhancement
and then changing the mapping of the lowest values to black using:

EU MAKE 0 1 BLACK

The range of brightness values that would have to be turned black
depends on a number of factors like how many image levels your McIDAS
session is configured to support.  It could well be that you might
need to expand the range of 0-1 to 0-3.  This is something that is
very easy to do:

- load the image using IMGDISP
- restore the enhancement created that gives the blue and red coloring
  that you asked about previously
- change brightness levels 0-1 to black.  If this is not enough
  change brightness levels 0-3 to black, etc.

re:
> I want to be able to display this figure using the same
> color contours like on this image (See GOESEFFECTIVE IMAGE). The full paper
> link is shown in previous emails.

Yes, I understand.  The things that are needed are:

1) find out from the author(s) of the paper you are looking at what combination
   of 3.9 um and 10.7 um images are shown

   The person who did the combinations should be able to tell you the
   exact McIDAS command sequence that was used to create the composites

2) find out how they created their enhancement

   The person who created the enhancement used in the GOESEFFECTIVE image
   should be able to either provide the enhancement to you directly or
   provide the sequence of EU MAKE commands that was used to create the
   enhancement.

Once you know how to create the 3.9 um / 10.7 um composite (using IMGOPER),
and once you have the enhancement created for this combination, you should
be able to easily recreate the displays using your own image data.

The thing that was likely not done using McIDAS is the labeling of the
data bar at the bottom of the images in GOESEFFECTIVE.jpeg.

Question:

- did you locate a departmental/college IT person and ask him/her where
  you could put some image files so I could FTP them?

  Me having the original image files would help speed up answering your
  questions.

Ticket ID: BJT-176673
Department: Support McIDAS