[McIDAS #IWJ-443798]: MCIDAS Software Upgrade at NGC

Hi Randy,

re:
> I wanted to reopen this case. The issue was getting our remap2/cloudp codes
> to work on
> GOES 15 imagery. You helped us with this and it fixed the problem.

Well, I at least identified a part of the code that was causing core dumps...

re:
> Interestingly we wanted to go back and remap some old GOES-11 data and so we
> used this
> code. Naturally it did not work. We get an image with no navigation.

So, there must be a different part of the code that gets tickled by the 2-byte
remapping process.

re:
> I then reverted back to the old code prior to your changes and that produced
> a seg fault.

Right.  Again, the thing I found the last time was a section of code that was
just
plain wrong.  Reverting to it would most likely produce core dumps (segmentation
violations).

re:
> Both versions of the code were compiled with Mcidas 2009i.

The problem(s) were not in the McIDAS code; it(they) were in your code.

re:
> The original code that we used prior to the changes were compiled with a much
> older
> version of mcidas.

Yes, but that was mostly likely not the problem.  What is more likely is that
there is a newer compiler/linker that relocates the code so that now it
core dumps when it didn't before.

re:
> Are you able to help us figure out what the issue is this time?

Yes, I can do some poking around in the new code, but I have a couple of
things going on right now that will impact how fast this can be done
(putting together a new Unidata McIDAS release that contains all mods
from the SSEC 2012.1 release and all XCD 2012.1 changes, and preparing
for an IDV training session for the WRF workshop that is currently
underway here in Boulder).

Please send me the remap2 code and the NGC subroutine(s) that are being
used (e.g., remap2_tasc.c cloudp_tasc.pgm) there currently.  I want your
copies to make sure that whatever testing I do is using what you are
using in-house.  Also, please let me know (or make available) specifically
what GOES-11 imagery that is causing the failures.

Ticket ID: IWJ-443798
Department: Support McIDAS