[McIDAS #AIT-655217]: Ticket ID: FVC-112860

Hi Paul,

I am currently at home shoveling the 24+" of snow that has fallen overnight
and still coming down hard.  I will try to look into all that you include
below from time to time today.

Quick question:

- how many graphic and image levels are available in the McIDAS "session"
  (interactive or one created by a script by 'mcenv') when these images were
  were created?

  This can be listed using the UCU utility:

  UCU PEEK 500   <- graphics levels
  UCU PEEK 600   <- image (aka gray) levels

The reason I ask is that the display of an enhancement can look very strange
if there are a lot more enhancement levels defined than there are image
levels.  I don't think that this is causing your problems, but I want to
be sure.

Also, I don't understand this comment (at the end of your note):

> And then, the values are random on the
> side so they are not displaying the accurate number.

I don't see "random" numbers.  Can you explain what you mean?

re:
> If the non-use of a stretch table is best, why do the labels plot out as
> they do and I cannot find the zero isodop and highlight it?

If the mapping from original image value to velocity is fixed, then
finding/highlighting the zero isodop would be simple/straightforward.
Since the mapping of original image values to display levels varies
from image to image, this will be difficult (and I have not spent enough
time on the problem to be able to give you an ABC of what to do).

re:
> Also, why is
> there such a large color interval between 0 and -1 kts?

??? Where?  I guess I am missing something.

By the way, I sent a note to the MUG folks at SSEC requesting a
conference call to discuss the issue of dynamic mapping of
image values and its effect on displays.  We will be "getting
together" as soon as they feel that they have reviewed the problem
enough to comment.  One possible approach is to have the server
map original image values to fixed data ranges, but I think that
this would result in loss of information.

Ticket ID: AIT-655217
Department: Support McIDAS