[McIDAS #TUI-322059]: Satellite source numbers

Hi Mary Ellen,

Still no reply from Becky...

re:
> I'm perusing G15 data and I need to identify it's satellite source
> number. I read the area.doc file and it indicates that the Satellite
> Sensor Source is word 3 (or W3) in an AREA file and in the list of
> predefinitions of future GOES satellites its value would likely be in
> the 80s.

Just so you know, the copy of area.doc that I include was the latest
one available from SSEC when they still made it available.  It is _very_
old now, so some things might be off.

re:
> However, in an LWU list of a G-15 file I see the source number as 184 and
> for G13 and G12, SS=180.

These seem correct.

re:
> I have seen references in our local software
> that the G12 source number is 78. I'm wondering if I'm looking at two
> separate variables...

No, their table numbers were used up, so the new satellites went on the
end and have larger SS numbers.

re:
> Satellite Sensor Source and Satellite Source Number
> may not be the same?

They are the same.

re:
> Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old info.  The version of SATANNOT and SATBAND that you will have in the
latest release will make all things clear :-)

Ticket ID: TUI-322059