[McIDAS #QAA-894732]: Mcidas X

Hi Boris,

re:
> How do I setup a new ADDE datasets? for example: STORM/SND05ABRIL.
> According to me, I do it this way:
>
> DSSERVE ADD STORM/SND05ABRIL AREA 3000 7000
>
> This is correct?

This is a way, but not the best way.  I would create each new daily
STORM dataset as follows:

<as 'mcidas'>

DSSERVE ADD STORM/SND05ABRIL AREA DIRFILE=/home/boris/mcidas/data/05ABRIL/AREA*
"GOES Sounder imagery for 5 April

NB:

- create the dataset definition as the user 'mcidas' in the 'mcidas' account

  Why?  So that the remote access will automatically be able to use the
  images described by the definition.

- you can also use DSSERVE to list ADDE dataset definitions.  For instance:

  <as 'mcidas'>
  cd $MCDATA
  dsserve.k LIST STORM

re:
> I verified that the images in these datasets are accessible from other
> machines by looking at them in McIDAS on my workstation:
>
> <me on my workstation>
> cd $MCDATA
> <in McIDAS>
> DATALOC ADD STORM CANTINFLAS.ATMOSFCU.UNAM.MX

Excellent!

re:

> In the above order, I suppose you have configured the group
> STORM at domain CANTINFLAS.ATMOSFCU.UNAM.MX, my question is:

> 1. all new data created in the storm group (e.g.,
> /home/boris/mcidas/data/04ABRIL, etc)
>    will be accessible from another workstation?

Yes, _IF_ you define the new datasets as the user 'mcidas'.  The reason for this
is that the remote ADDE access uses the McIDAS installation of the user 'mcidas'
as its environment.  So, any dataset you define as the user 'mcidas' will
automatically
be available through remote access.  This is reinforces the notion that 'mcidas'
is to be though of as 'root' for McIDAS installations.

re:
> 2. how adding a new group (e.g., CLOUD) at domain CANTINFLAS.ATMOSFCU.UNAM.MX.
> Because with the DSSERVE command i'm just adding a new dataset locally and i
> do
> not know if this new group is added to domain CANTINFLAS.ATMOSFCU.UNAM.MX.
> automatically.

It would be available automatically if you create the definition as the user
'mcidas'.  It will not be available if you create it as the user 'boris'.
This is a feature, not a shortcoming.  The idea is that what non-'mcidas' users
do can remain private.  What 'mcidas' does will affect all users of McIDAS
(just like 'root' for Unix/Linux).

re:
> How I can access files as MODIS LEVEL 2 (MOD06, MOD07, MOD35) and AVHRR
> LEVEL 1B (GAC) that are on my workstation.
>
> I've done the steps below to access some files of MODIS that are HDF format
>

> DSSERVE ADD MODIS/TERRA MODX TYPE=IMAGE
> DIRFILE='/home/boris/Escritorio/DATOS-PRUEBA/MODIS/TERRA'
> donde: /home/boris/Escritorio/DATOS-PRUEBA/MODIS/TERRA (directory where the
> data MOD06_L2.A2004094.1130.051.2010283143447.hdf is in)

I think that you have failed to include a regular expression that matches the
actual MODIS files.  The DIRFILE= value you used above seems to only be a
reference to a directory; this is not sufficient as a directory can have
a variety of files that have nothing to do with McIDAS.  Please look at the
my example of how to create the STORM/SND05ABRIL dataset above.

re:
> I get the following message:
>
> Group/Descriptor         Type  Format & Range     RT Comment
> ------------------------ ----- ------------------ -- --------------------
> MODIS/TERRA              IMAGE MODX
> DIRFILE=/home/boris/Escritorio/DATOS-PRUEBA/MODIS/TERRA
> DSSERVE: done
> DSINFO IMAGE MODIS
>
> Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: MODIS
>
> Name         NumPos   Content
> ------------ ------   --------------------------------------
> TERRA        99999
>
> where is my data MOD06_L2.A2004094.1130.051.2010283143447.hdf?

Your DSSERVE invocation did not tell McIDAS that the files to be included in
the MODIS/TERRA dataset included this file.  The following DSSERVE invocation
would:

DSSERVE ADD MODIS/TERRA MODX TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE='/home/boris/Escritorio/DATOS-PRUEBA/MODIS/TERRA/*.hdf' "MODIS-TERRA
images

Comment:

- I _strongly_ recommend that you include a description (the quote field
portion of the
  DSSERVE invocation) of each dataset you create.  It will help you (and others
if
  others are going to access the data) later on.

re:
> because it not appears in the group MODIS?
> I did something wrong?

Yes, you did not describe the set of files to be included in the dataset.

Comment:

- the DIRFILE= value is a regular expression.  Think of it just like a
  fully formed regular expression you would use for the Unix/Linux command
  'ls'.  For instance:

  ls /home/boris/mcidas/data/01ABRIL/AREA*

  Do _not_ think of it as exactly like 'ls', however.  The following does
  not work in McIDAS:

  DSSERVE ADD STORM/SND05ABRIL DIRFILE=/home/boris/mcidas/data/05ABRIL "GOES
Sounder images for 5 April

Ticket ID: QAA-894732
Department: Support McIDAS