[McIDAS #BZU-651546]: Interesting in McIDAS X Free

Hi Boris,

Thanks for sending me the logon information...

When I got on your machine, I noticed a couple of things:

- the shell for 'mcidas' is tcsh

  No problem here _except_ that there was no .cshrc file
  in /home/mcidas.  I created the file for you.

- since there was no .cshrc file, you were not setting up the
  account like the recommendations in the 'Preparing the McIDAS
  Account' portion of the Unidata McIDAS-X Users Guide.

  I set the contents of /home/mcidas/.cshrc to what is recommended
  in the Users Guide.  I then made those settings active by:

  source .cshrc

I then tried the McIDAS build again from scratch:

cd /home/mcidas/mcidas2009/src
make clobber
make

I ran into the same problem you reported earlier... weird to say the
least.

I investigated the problem further: for some reason the CC compiler
was being set in the various tiff Makefiles to /usr/lib/gcc.  On
your system /usr/lib/gcc is a directory, not an executable.  I
forced your system to use the actual gcc compiler by defining
CC to /usr/bin/cc:

cd /home/mcidas/mcidas2009/tiff
make distclean
setenv CC /usr/bin/gcc
cd /home/mcidas/mcidas2009/src
make

The build proceeded without problems, so I installed it:

cd /home/mcidas/mcidas2009/src
make install

So, you should now have a working Unidata McIDAS-X v2009h
installation on your machine.

Ticket ID: BZU-651546