[McIDAS #HCA-416412]: mcidas command to calculate cloud drift (velocity and direction)

Hi Tyn,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you...

re:
> Thanks Tom, take your time.

No worries.

re:
> Pittty you aren't stopping in NL!

I agree.  I would have loved to be able to stop by and talk
about a variety of things of mutual interest (e.g., activities
in Africa).

Back to the question at hand:

The McIDAS-X command used to calculate wind speeds and directions
from cloud movements is PCMW.  Unfortunately, it is a manual process,
so it is a bit involved to use.

I asked about what NOAA uses to calculate winds from cloud motions,
and the answer I got was a bit obtuse:

>> The automated winds software [that NOAA uses, which Tom makes
>> reference to] is not generally distributed. Have Tom contact me if he
>> wants more details.

I will contact them again to see if there is any way that I can get
the code (or find out that I really don't want to get the code as
for some reason).

I also asked about the same sort of capabilities in McIDAS-V.  I am
waiting for an answer to that, but I can pretty much guarantee that
there is no such capability in McIDAS-V; there certainly is no such
function in the IDV as I am sure you are already aware.

Ticket ID: HCA-416412