[McIDAS #WRL-795972]: Label for BAR

Hi Paul,

re:
> Just a quick question. Please look at
> http://nexlab2.cod.edu/data/satellite/hemi/s_atlantic/current/s_atlantic.ir.gif
>
> Is there a way to easily remove the GVAR from the BAR label?\

This is the first time I have a request like this!

You can make a stretch table and specify the calibration type to
be '    ' (4 spaces):

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA

su.k INI IRTEST ' ' TEMP
SU MAKE IRTEST 163 241.9999 255 177
SU MAKE IRTEST 242 330 176 0

SU TABLE IRTEST
BREAKPOINTS STORED IN TABLE : IRTEST.ST
INPUT       OUTPUT
-----       ------
 163           255
 241.9999      177
 242           176
 330           0
CALIBRATION TYPE  :
CALIBRATION UNITS : TEMP
BAND NUMBER       : -1
INTERPOLATION TYPE: LIN

You would then use the IRTEST stretch table (or whatever you decide to
call it) as the value for the SU= keyword for BAR.  For instance,

imgdisp.k RTIMAGES/GE-IR LAT=0 27 MAG=-4
map.k FILE=OUTLHPOL
bar.k SU=IRTEST

The other thing you can do is use the CW command to blank out the
area where you want to write the label.  If I were going to use
CW, I would have it create a rectangular/square block of space
in the upper right hand side of the displayed image coloring it
gray (color level 8 in the standard graphics color palette); turn
the gray block black (GU MAKE 8 BLACK); and then write your
label in the block.  This is exactly what is done as an exercise
in the McIDAS Training Workshop:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
  Tools
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software
    McIDAS
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas
      Unidata McIDAS-X Training Workshop
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/workshop/toc.html
        6 Graphics and the Cursor

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/workshop/graphics.html
          6.3 Graphics and the Cursor - Erasing Graphics

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/workshop/graphics-4.html

re:
> I am not even
> sure what that means.

The 4-letter label at the top of BARs is the calibration type.

re:
> I know I can block it out but this just seems weird to have it.

The two methods above will do what you want.

Ticket ID: WRL-795972