[McIDAS #GSF-247602]: METEOSAT ADDE server contact

Hi Greg,

re:
> We're going to be needing access to METEOSAT-7 (Indian Ocean satellite)
> for an upcoming project we are participating in in the Maldives this
> fall. I notice on your list of publicly accessible ADDE servers there's
> one at adde.eumetsat.int that is restricted.

The ADDE server at EUMETSAT serves MSG (METEOSAT 9) data.  I don't think
that it serves METEOSAT-7 data.

re:
> Do you happen to have a
> name contact at EUMETSAT I could talk to about getting access?

I will have to dig up the email for their support staff...

re:
> I know
> the server may only have METEOSAT-9 data but I'd like to check.

I just checked the easy way, and don't see any METEOSAT-7 data.
I will try to see if I can get more information before giving up.

re:
> I know
> that SSEC somehow gets Meteosat-7 and Meteosat-9 McIDAS data but my
> understanding is that they cannot share that data with others unless
> someone in their group is a funded PI on the project.

I am not familiar with the procedure one needs to follow (if any) to get
access to the METEOSAT data that SSEC has.

re:
> I've tried the
> direct approach going through the EUMETSAT website but they've told me
> they cannot provide real-time data to me and their archive direct data (24
> hours delayed in not in McIDAS Area format either (I think its openMTP?).

I am unfamiliar with openMTP (?) format.  I can say, however, that
McIDAS contains a server for METEOSAT data, and it worked for METEOSAT-7
data at one time.

re:
> Also, would you know of any alternate sources for Metesoat-7, 9
> McIDAS data?

NOAA has some METEOSAT data available via restricted access to an
ADDE server.  I will try to dig up information on that and see
if they have any METEOSAT-7 data.  If they do, you should be able
to get access to it.

More later...

Ticket ID: GSF-247602