[McIDAS #IND-391015]: MCIDAS BATCH Files

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the slow response; I've been working on an abstract that has to
be submitted by 5 pm this afternoon...

re: examples of use of stretch table in McIDAS
> GREAT.
>
> These are many things I was looking for. I am getting it slowly

Very good.

re:
> A few questions remain however.

Ready...

re:
> First -
>
> I have displayed an IR image. no stretch tables...just IMAGE enhancement.
>
> IMGDISP GINIEAST/GE4KIR 2 LAT=35 90
> EU REST IMAGE
> MAP VH 14
> BAR
>
> i then type EU MAKE 0 163 BLACK BLACK
>
> I expect what happens within that range...but everything else turns to
> color! I do not know why!

Weird.  I just executed exactly what you executed, and did _not_ see the
enhancement turn to color.  Instead, I got what I expected -- brightness
levels 0-163 were set to black.

re:
> I then type EU MAKE 164 255 BLACK WHITE expecting the levels from 164 255
> to go from black to white which it does but the other colors go to color!

This also gave me what I expected.

re:
> EU TABLE gives me
> Brightness  Blue      Green      Red
> min max   min max   min max   min max
> --- ---   --- ---   --- ---   --- ---
> 0  84     0   0     0   0     0   0
> 85  96   130 130    60  60     0   0
> 97 108   200 200   120 120     0   0
> 109 120     0   0    90  90     0   0
> 121 132     0   0   130 130     0   0
> 133 144     0   0   170 170    10  10
> 145 156     0   0   210 210    50  50
> 157 169     0   0   255 255   100 100
> 170 181     0   0   255 255   255 255
> 182 193     0   0   155 155   210 210
> 194 205     0   0     0   0   255 255
> 206 217     0   0     0   0   130 130
> 218 229   255 255   255 255   255 255
> 230 241   150 150     0   0   150 150
> 242 253   255 255     0   0   255 255
> 254 255   255 255   255 255   255 255

This is definitely not the McIDAS image enhancement!

re:
> I do not where that came from!

Me neither.

re:
> Orignally EU REST gave me the image
> enhancement which was correct.
>
> What is going on?

I wish I knew.  The only thing I can imagine is that there is something
messed up in your environment.  Please return the output from the
following 4 invocations of the McIDAS DMAP command:

<in your McIDAS session>
DMAP Frame
DMAP FRAMENH
DMAP GRAPHICS
DMAP TERMCHAR

All of the files that begin with these character sequences should be
found in a temporary directory under ~/.mctmp.  If they are found
elsewhere, it means that at some point a McIDAS command was run
in an incorrectly setup environment and these files were created
in a location other than where they are supposed to be.

re:
> As I am playing with things more and more, why would I use a SU vs an EU?
>
> How are they different?

A stretch (SU= keyword on an IMGDISP command) controls the mapping of
original image values to display values.  The H2O.ST stretch table that
I used in my previous example caused IMGDISP to only display brightness
levels 140-215 and spread them out as 0-255 in the display.  The only
way for a stretch to be used is by specifying it using the SU= keyword
in an IMGDISP command.

An enhancement is simply a mapping between display values and colors.
Enhancements are associated with frames.  One can change the enhancement
at any time using the EU (Enhancement Utility) command.

Ticket ID: IND-391015