[McIDAS #SMX-272962]: mcidas question

Hi Sepide,

re: listing the value at a point in an image is most easily done in McIDAS
using the IMGPROBE command.

> how should i use this command?

First, review the online help for IMGPROBE:

<as 'sepide' on tormenta>

cd $MCDATA
help.k IMGPROBE

-- OR --

Review the help on IMGPROBE in the McIDAS User's Guide:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Unidata McIDAS HomePage
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas

    Unidata McIDAS-X User's Guide (html)
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/toc.html

      Chapter 3 - Commands
      Commands by Alphabetical Order

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/CommandsbyAlphabeticalOrder.html#26670

      IMGPROBE

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/IMGPROBE.html

Here is a simple example of using IMGPROBE to list out the value of the point at
a specific Latitude,Longitued:

<as 'sepide' on tormenta>

cd $MCDATA
imgprobe.k LIST POINT DATASET=TEST/GOES.1 LATLON=-1.38 48.48 MODE=N

     Image Name           Day      Nominal Time   Scan Time    Band
  ----------------      -------    ------------   ---------    ----
  TEST/GOES.1          1 Jan 90001   00:31:00      MISSING        1

                        File     Nominal  Image      RAW         BRIT
       Lat/Lon      Line/Element  Line/Element
-1:22:53  / 48:30:08  1163/14313    7164/14314              8           8

IMGPROBE: Done

As you can see, the output will be in ASCII text.  You could write the
text to a file and extract the field(s) you want for further processing
in a different application like Matlab.

Notice that I referenced the input dataset element (i.e., particular image)
by dataset position number (the '.1' in 'DATASET=TEST/GOES.1'.  Using this
way to access the image will make it easy to do the exact same thing for
each image in the dataset.  All you need to do is increment the position
number for each image you want to process.

re: exactly why do you want/need to convert the images into netCDF files?

> I don't need to convert the data into netcdf, any other format that matlab
> can read is ok.

> I just need something that i can open it and use it easily , if it is a text
> file , even better, because i just need 1 value for each hour and each
> location.

Then the ASCII output of IMGPROBE would seem like an easy thing for you to
use.

Ticket ID: SMX-272962
Department: Support McIDAS