[McIDAS #WBP-764757]: I have questions. You have answers!

Hi Gilbert,

re:
> Well, one of our former grad students visited Chesapeake Energy
> in Chicago, and saw their McIDAS 2010 version working,
> and with a new GUI, and he said it looks great!

Yes...

re:
> And I said...
>
> HUH?!?!?
>
> Did I miss something?
>
> Did I miss a major annoucnement?

I didn't send an announcement to the McIDAS community, but I did update
the Unidata McIDAS-X/-XCD v2009 version with the small number of updates
in the SSEC v2010.1 version.  The Unidata McIDAS web pages were also
updated to reflect the change.

re:
> So I went into the support archives...nothing.

Correct.

re:
> Then I went to the downloads section and saw a "2009-2010" version,
> updated July 13, 2010.
>
> But is this the "2010" commercial version?

Commercial version????

re:
> I have 2008 installed. Wait. It's actually a 2009 update, but
> I don't have a 2009 directory. Does this mean I install the 2010 update
> from scratch, backing up what I need?

If you are still using the v2008 version, then loading the v2009x version
will be simple.  You shouldn't have to back up anything ** assuming that
you did not modify any of the files that are part of the release ** (which
is what I have stressed to users for years).

re:
> Regardless, I do want to install the July 13 update, which I never saw an
> announcement for. Or is the "true" 2010 version coming? Should I wait?

Please review:

Unidata McIDAS-X/-XCD Release Announcement
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/release.html

In it you will see that I decided to stop the artificial incrementing
of release version to reflect the year.  Why?  Because the number of
changes being made to McIDAS-X are small, and they are all of the
bugfix variety.

re:
> Your turn! :-)

Back to you ;-)