[McIDAS #XRQ-682231]: Thanks & One Last Question

Hi Alan,

re:
> Thank you for the information in your responses...very much appreciated.

No worries.

re:
> One last question.  Fedora is really the only Linux platform to use for
> McIdas and other Unidata applications (ID), correct?

No, not at all.  Since we use Fedora in-house, we are a LOT more familiar
with it than other flavors of Linux, but the community uses several different
platforms.

re:
> The reason I ask
> is that some of the other linux platforms like ubuntu have gotten
> popular since I set up my first fedora system earlier.  I've only used
> Fedora and like it (and all the related stuff like evolution, open
> office, etc.).  But I thought I'd ask just in case there was a really
> compelling reason to use one of the other linux platforms.

We are a bit mystified why Ubuntu has gotten so popular... we see a number
of things in it that are a bit strange (e.g., default use of syslog-ng
instead of syslog/rsyslog (this is important for the LDM), etc.).

Many in the Unidata community who were avid users of Fedora have switched
to CentOS.  The main reason is that Fedora is a development platform, and,
as such, support for a current version only lasts for one year after a
new release is available.  CentOS, on the other hand, is a free distribution
of RedHat Enterprise.  The system does not change rapidly (except for major
bugfixes and security patches), and this makes it easier to administer.

Other popular Linux distributions include Debian, Ubuntu (a Debian derivative),
OpenSUSE, and to a lesser extent Slackware, Mandriva, and a smattering of
other flavors.  Like I said above, we use Fedora mostly because we have used
it for years and so now understand how to administer it effectively.

If you were to ask which distribution we would recommend, we say that we
prefer Fedora followed by CentOS or RedHat.

Ticket ID: XRQ-682231
Department: Support McIDAS