[McIDAS #PSX-470067]: mcidas-x 2009 compile on Ubuntu question

Hi Tom,

re:
> No worries... I thought that was a fast response! See my responses to your
> questions embedded in your message.

OK.

re:
> I did have the latest gcc version it appears,

Yes, your version of GCC matches what I use on my Fedora 12 workstation at
work and in the Fedora 11 virtual machine I run in VMware Player on my
Windows XP netbook at home.  It may be the case that the syslog.h include
file is part of a different package that either needs updating or has
a bug.  A quick Google (tm) search that I did yesterday, however, did
not show any smoking guns, or, at least not at first glance.

re:
> so I did make the change you
> suggested to the source code. That worked,

OK, good.  The change was a simple minded way of eliminating the use
of syslog altogether.

re:
> and quite a bit more of build was
> successful after that change. Then I ran into an error at the following:
>
> ./tclcomp ./mccomp -O -gfortran -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc -I../hdf/hdf/src
> -I../hdf/mfhdf/libsrc -I../jpeg -I../libpng -I../zlib -I../tiff/libtiff
> -I../libgeotiff -I../jasper/src/libjasper/include -I../g2clib -I../bzip2
> -I../tcl -I../tcl/generic -I../tk -I../tk/generic -I../tk/unix -c wishcrex.c
> eval: 1: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
> compile wishcrex.c: FAILED

This is undoubtedly a shell-related issue (tclcomp is a shell script).

Question:

- is there any way that I could logon to your machine as 'mcidas' to
troubleshoot
  this?

re: which version of Ubuntu are you running?

> It is Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
>
> uname -a yields
>
> Linux ubuntu 2.6.32-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 28 13:27:30 UTC 2010
> i686 GNU/Linux

OK, thanks.  I don't have an Ubuntu 10.4 machine here at the UPC that I can use
for
debugging.

re: what version of GCC is installed on your machine?

> gcc (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5) 4.4.3

This is the same version that I have access to on several platforms.

re:
> I updated everything with apt-get before I started, so I'm quite sure this
> is the most recent version.

OK, I had to ask :-)

re: have you tried building the LDM on this machine?

> I haven't tried building LDM on here. This eventually will be cloned as a
> client for a lab.

A quick test build of LDM-6.8.1 should tell us if the syslog development
installation is munged.

Again, if there was a way I could logon to your Ubuntu machine, the
troubleshooting
would go a LOT faster.

Ticket ID: PSX-470067
Department: Support McIDAS