[McIDAS #MPZ-243939]: New NEXRAD Level III Radar products

Hi Rick,

re: not hold-up release of NEXRAD Level III code for tweaks

> I agree it's important and even with the short comings of the current
> calibration module, we could possible release the code.

OK.

re: the images internally define the raw<->calibrated mapping

> Based on that, I think creating a new set of enhancement tables is the
> best route to go. I don't think we can update the old ones to make them
> backward compatible (would you agree?).

I am not entirely sure of what you mean.  It is true that the old
enhancements do not allow one to see the fine grained variability
in the newer "high resolution" products.  It is not true, however,
that a particular color shown always represented the same reflectivity
in the old "lower resolution" images. This was most apparent when a
viewing a loop of images for a NEXRAD that went from clear operation
to precipitation mode.

If the objective is that to be able to look at one of the "lower
resolution" and one of the "higher resolution" images for the same
station at the same time and have the displays look the same, we
may be disappointed in the result especially because the mapping in
the newer "high resolution" images is not guaranteed to be consistent
from image to image.

re:
> We are working on IMGDISP.CORE, so we can add in the new enhancement name.

OK.

Ticket ID: MPZ-243939
Department: Support McIDAS