[McIDAS #WAZ-899768]: migrating to goes-13

Hi Ed,

re:
> i am running as 'eryan',
> i don't think i have any extra files around,
> my script to process the latest file is /home2/eryan/get_ge_ir_atl_v1.csh
> and the output is  below.
> earlier in the day, i was not getting the  "cannot locate string names -
> rerun setp." messages.
> the script dumps my env variables into /home2/eryan/my_env_variables.dat
> hope this helps ...

Yes, the listing of the environment variables in scope when the script runs
are very useful.  In particular, they show that your MCPATH is setup as if
you are running as 'mcidas', not as 'eryan'.  Here is what I mean:

MCHOME=/home/mcidas
MCDATA=/home/mcidas/workdata
MCPATH=/home/mcidas/workdata:/home/mcidas/workdata:/home/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/help
MCGUI=/home/mcidas/bin
MCTABLE_READ=/home/mcidas/workdata/MCTABLE.TXT;/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT
MCTABLE_WRITE=/home/mcidas/workdata/MCTABLE.TXT
MCCOMPRESS=GZIP

MCHOME is correct, but MCDATA should be ~eryan/mcidas/data.  I would guess that
what is happening is that your MCDATA definition is incorrect:

is:
MCDATA=/home/mcidas/workdata

should be:
MCDATA=/home2/eryan/mcidas/data

The reason that this is likely the cause of your problems is that you probably
do not have write permission for your currently defined MCDATA (and you should
_not_ have write permission for 'mcidas' MCDATA directory).

re:
> %> get_ge_ir_atl_v1.csh
> *                  WARNING                    *
> * The entire source image will be used to     *
> * create the destination image. If the source *
> * image is located on a remote server, the    *
> * total number of bytes transfered will be:   *
> *                  4.72 MB                    *
> Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 4724328
> imgremap.k: transformations complete ... begin data move
> Transferring AREA data outbound, bytes= 3388648
> IMGREMAP: Done...
> -rw-r--r-- 1 eryan 330 3388648 2010-04-19 15:06 /home/mcidas/workdata/AREA3000
> /home/mcidas/workdata
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
> Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 3388648
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
> imgdisp.k: Unable to get frame directory information
> imgdisp.k: Unable to get frame directory information
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
> imgdisp.k: Failed to write nav for frame  1
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
> IMGDISP: loaded frame  1
> imgdisp.k: done
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
> Frame saved in /home/mcidas/workdata/atlantic_ir.gif
> check: mcidas output files

The 'cannot locate string names' is the "smoking gun" for
why your image displays are not getting properly labeled.  I
think that changing your MCDATA to /home/eryan/mcidas/data
(and making sure that you create that directory and have
read/write/execute permission in it) should do the trick.

Looking through the script that you are running would suggest
that you have some settings in your .cshrc file (~eryan/.cshrc)
that are misconfigured...  Yup, here is the culprit:

/home2/eryan/.cshrc:

   setenv MCHOME /home/mcidas
   setenv MCCOMPRESS GZIP
   setenv MCGUI /home/mcidas/bin
   ## which one ? - should be me
#  setenv MCDATA /home2/eryan/mcidas/data
   setenv MCDATA /home/mcidas/workdata

I would comment out the last line and uncomment the next to last line.

Ticket ID: WAZ-899768
Department: Support McIDAS