[McIDAS #CSH-299701]: GOES visible band data

Hi Weidong,

re:
> How are you doing?

I am doing well, thanks.  And you?

re:
> I have difficult to download the GOES visible band data from the UNIDATA
> using the goescopy.sh, it seems the server not responding, the error
> message is below:
>
> Group/Descriptor         Type  Format & Range     RT Comment
> ------------------------ ----- ------------------ -- --------------------
> MYDATA/IMAGES            IMAGE AREA 1-9999           All images in AREA format
> dsserve.k: done
>
> Group Name                    Server IP Address
> --------------------         ----------------------------------------
> EAST                         GOESEAST.UNIDATA.UCAR.EDU
>
> <LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data
> directory.
> DATALOC -- done
> Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 453404608
> Transferring AREA data outbound, bytes= 453404688
> imgcopy.k: Communications to server has stopped
> imgcopy.k: Data transmission has failed
> imgcopy.k: done

Questions:

- is this a persistent error?

- at what times are you attempting to IMGCOPY the data from the
  server to your machine

  The reason I ask is we have seen problems with the ADDE GVAR server
  on the GOES-East ingest machine (goeseast.unidata.ucar.edu) for
  some time now.  The interesting thing about the problems we are
  seeing (the routine dumping core) is the times of the problems:

-rw-------   1 root     root     24747951 Feb 12 11:34 core.gvaraget.21903.u200
-rw-------   1 root     root     24747951 Feb 12 08:53 core.gvaraget.26829.u200
-rw-------   1 root     root     24747951 Feb 12 05:29 core.gvaraget.24879.u200
-rw-------   1 root     root     24747951 Feb 12 04:19 core.gvaraget.14032.u200

  The times of the core dumps repeat like clockwork.  Finding out why the
process
  is failing and fixing it is on my list of things to do.

  Is this you?

re:
> And also I can't display the visible band in the McIDAS GUI, any idea?

I have no idea why this is occurring since I do not have this problem here.

re:
> By the way, do you have any ADDE server I can download the FY2 and
> MTSAT data?

NOAA operates an ADDE server that has FY2 data:

Dataset    Machine
PUB        SATEPSANONE.NESDIS.NOAA.GOV

In addition to the FY2 data, this server hosts:

GOES-East
GOES-West
MTSAT
INDOEX (Meteosat 7)

Do the following in an interactive McIDAS session:

DATALOC ADD PUB SATEPSANONE.NESDIS.NOAA.GOV
DSINFO IMAGE PUB
etc.

NB: the data on the NOAA server are not available in real-time.  Just
how much they are delayed is not known to me, however.

Ticket ID: CSH-299701
Department: Support McIDAS