[McIDAS #MVG-291815]: mcidasx Error in startup script: can't read "tk_version": no such variable

Hi Andrew,

re:
> I am running the tests on
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/Buildin
> gandInstallingMcIDAS-X.html#install, but not having any luck on step 6.
>

> [mcidas@hcpldml02 ~/bin]$ mcidasx
> WARNING: only run as the user 'mcidas' for supervisory tasks
>
> Running McIDAS configuration GUI...
>
> [mcidas@hcpldml02 ~/bin]$ Application initialization failed: couldn't
> connect to display "hcpldml02:0"

I have never seen a message like this before.

Questions:

- were you running the test from the system console, or were you
  logged in remotely (e.g., using 'ssh')?

- is your DISPLAY environment variable set when you try to run McIDAS?

re:
> Error in startup script: can't read "tk_version": no such variable
>
> while executing
>
> "if { $tk_version >= 8.1 } \
>
> {
>
> ::tk::unsupported::ExposePrivateCommand tk*
>
> }"
>
> (file "/usr/mcidas/bin/config.gui" line 3483)

Tcl/Tk will complain about tk_version not being set/understood
when it can't connect to the display (hence my questions above).

If you haven't done so already, please run your test from the
machine's system console and report back your results.

Ticket ID: MVG-291815
Department: Support McIDAS