[McIDAS #KRH-362919]: MciDAS GOES data inquiry

Hi Weidong,

re:
> I am trying to set up Mcidas-x on my xp workstation.
> My XP version is XP + SP3 + SFU 3.5
> I followed the set up steps and mcidas set up completely as normal.
> Then I create another account to run Mcidas it Echo:
> /bin/ksh: mcidas : not found
> Any clue?

No, not really.  I would guess that the PATH for the new user you
setup does not contain the directory where McIDAS binaries are
installed.

A couple of comments are in order:

- even though McIDAS can be run under Windows XP, there are a LOT
  of configuration steps and two external packages that one must
  download, install and configure correctly to get things working.

- the Windows distribution of McIDAS contains _no_ Unidata bugfixes,
  modifications or additions

Because of these issues, I strongly recommend that sites install
and use McIDAS on a *nix system.  The most common platforms in
use are Linux (variety of distributions) and Solaris.  I was most
happy when I saw a previous comment from you:

"Thanks a lot, I would rather using MciDAS-x under Linux as it sound
easier for me, ..."

I am hopeful that you will consider this option as it will make your
use of McIDAS easier in the long run.

By the way, I got side tracked yesterday and the day before, so I
have not put together a script for you to use to copy GOES-East/West
data to your machine.  I am hopeful I can get this done today...

Ticket ID: KRH-362919
Department: Support McIDAS