[McIDAS #UZC-113051]: XDDE setup help

Hi Hsie,

re:
> I have a server (rainbow.al.noaa.gov, RedHat Linux 5) acting as ADDE
> server for internal network (can not see from outside our network).  I
> can not see the data from that server:
>
> rainbow:[44]% dataloc.k LIST
>
> Group Name                    Server IP Address
> --------------------         ----------------------------------------
> AMRC                         UWAMRC.SSEC.WISC.EDU
> BLIZZARD                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU
> CIMSS                        RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
> GINICOMP                     RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
> GINIEAST                     RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
> GINIWEST                     RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
> GOESEAST                     UNIDATA2.SSEC.WISC.EDU
> ME7                          IO.SCA.UQAM.CA
> MYDATA                       <LOCAL-DATA>
> NEXRCOMP                     RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
> PUB                          GP16.SSD.NESDIS.NOAA.GOV
> RTGINI                       <LOCAL-DATA>
> RTGRIDS                      RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
> RTIMAGES                     RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
> RTNEXRAD                     RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
> RTPTSRC                      RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
> RTWXTEXT                     RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
> TOPO                         <LOCAL-DATA>
>
> <LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data
> directory.
> DATALOC -- done
>
> rainbow:[45]% imglist.k RTIMAGES/GE-IR.ALL
> Image file directory listing for:RTIMAGES/GE-IR
> imglist.k: done
>
> rainbow:[46]% netstat -l
> Active Internet connections (only servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address               Foreign

I logged onto rainbow as 'mcidas' verified that 'mcidas'
can see imagery in the RTIMAGES dataset when looking locally:

rainbow:[43]% cd $MCDATA
rainbow:[47]% dataloc.k LIST

[...]

rainbow:[50]% dsinfo.k I RTIMAGES
    No Datasets found of Type: IMAGE in Group: RTIMAGES
DSINFO -- done

rainbow:[51]% dataloc.k ADD RTIMAGES LOCAL-DATA

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
RTIMAGES                     <LOCAL-DATA>

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data directory.
DATALOC -- done

rainbow:[52]% dsinfo.k I RTIMAGES

        Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: RTIMAGES

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
ANTARCTIC    99999    Antarctic IR Composite
EDFLOATER-I  99999    Educational Floater
EDFLOATER-II 99999    Educational Floater II
GE-39        99999    GOES-East Hemispheric Short IR
GE-CO2       99999    GOES-East Hemispheric CO2
GE-IR        99999    GOES-East Hemispheric IR
GE-IRTOPO       10    GOES-East IR/TOPO Composite
GE-VIS       99999    GOES-East Hemispheric VIS
GE-VISTOPO      10    GOES-East VIS/TOPO Composite
GE-WV        99999    GOES-East Hemispheric H2O
GEW-IR          10    GOES-East/West IR Composite
GEW-IRTOPO      10    GOES-East/West IR/TOPO Composite
GEW-VIS         10    GOES-East/West VIS Composite
GEW-VISTOPO     10    GOES-East/West VIS/TOPO Composite
GEW-WV          10    GOES-East/West H2O Composite
GW-12        99999    GOES-West Western Long IR
GW-39        99999    GOES-West Western Short IR
GW-IR        99999    GOES-West Western US IR
GW-IRTOPO       10    GOES-West IR/TOPO Composite
GW-VIS       99999    GOES-West Western US VIS
GW-VISTOPO      10    GOES-West VIS/TOPO Composite
GW-WV        99999    GOES-West Western US H2O
MDR          99999    Manually Digitized Radar
MDRTOPO         10    MDR/TOPO Composite
MOLL-IR      99999    Mollweide Composite IR
MOLL-IRTOPO     10    Mollweide IR/TOPO Composite
MOLL-WV      99999    Mollweide Composite H2O
RESFLOATER   99999    Research Floater

DSINFO -- done
rainbow:[53]% imglist.k RTIMAGES/GE-IR.ALL
Image file directory listing for:RTIMAGES/GE-IR
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
   1  G-12 IMG       4 AUG 09216  21:45:00     0   72 4
   2  G-12 IMG       4 AUG 09216  22:15:00     0   72 4
   3  G-12 IMG       4 AUG 09216  22:45:00     0   72 4
   4  G-12 IMG       4 AUG 09216  23:15:00     0   72 4
   5  G-12 IMG       4 AUG 09216  23:45:00     0   72 4

After verifying this, I looked to make sure that the remote ADDE
access had been setup; it has been:

rainbow:[64]% uname -a
Linux rainbow.al.noaa.gov 2.6.18-128.4.1.el5 #1 SMP Thu Jul 23 19:59:19 EDT
2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

rainbow:[65]% ps -eaf | grep xine
mcidas     911   498  0 16:23 pts/0    00:00:00 grep xine
root     16934     1  0 Aug11 ?        00:00:00 xinetd -stayalive -pidfile
/var/run/xinetd.pid

rainbow:[66]% ls /etc/xinetd.d
chargen-dgram   discard-dgram   ekrb5-telnet  ktalk       tcpmux-server
chargen-stream  discard-stream  gssftp        mccompress  tftp
cvs             echo-dgram      klogin        mcidas      time-dgram
daytime-dgram   echo-stream     krb5-telnet   mcserv      time-stream
daytime-stream  eklogin         kshell        rsync

rainbow:[67]% cat /etc/xinetd.d/mcidas
#mcidas (port 112)
service mcidas
{
        flags           = REUSE
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = mcadde
        port            = 112
        server          = /home/mcidas/linux/bin/mcservsh
        server_args     = -H /home/mcidas
        log_on_success  += USERID HOST
        log_on_failure  += USERID HOST
}

Seeing that the remote ADDE access is configured to be able to use
uncompressed (port 500), 'compress' compressed transfers (port 503) and
'gzip' compressed transfers (port 112), I then checked your MCCOMPRESS
environment variable setting:

rainbow:[68]% env | grep ^MCC
MCCOMPRESS=TRUE

MCCOMPRESS=TRUE specifies that the ADDE transfers should use
port 503.  Since it also specifies that the compression
should be done using 'compress', I checked to see if 'compress'
is available on rainbow; it is _not_.

For recent installations of McIDAS, the preferred compression is 'gzip',
and McIDAS comes bundled with gzip/gunzip, so it does not have to
be installed in the OS.

I verified that by setting the MCCOMPRESS environment variable
to GZIP that I could access the various datasets that are
configured:

rainbow:[72]% setenv MCCOMPRESS GZIP
rainbow:[74]% dsinfo.k I GINIEAST

        Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: GINIEAST

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
GE1KVIS      99999    GINI 1 km VIS East CONUS
GE4K39       99999    GINI 4 km 3.9 um East CONUS
GE4KIR       99999    GINI 4 km 10.7 um East CONUS
GE4KWV       99999    GINI 8 km WV East CONUS
GE8KCO2      99999    GINI 8 km 13.3 um East CONUS
GESND1103    99999    GINI Sounder 10 km 11.03 um East CONUS
GESND1406    99999    GINI Sounder 10 km 14.06 um East CONUS
GESND398     99999    GINI Sounder 10 km 3.98 um East CONUS
GESND445     99999    GINI Sounder 10 km 4.45 um East CONUS
GESND651     99999    GINI Sounder 10 km 6.51 um East CONUS
GESND702     99999    GINI Sounder 10 km 7.02 um East CONUS
GESND743     99999    GINI Sounder 10 km 7.43 um East CONUS
GESNDVIS     99999    GINI Sounder 10 km VIS East CONUS
GMC24KIR     99999    GINI 24 km 10.7 um Multi-Composite

So, all that is really needed is for 'mcidas' and any other user
accessing the data via the remote ADDE server to change their
environment to use 'gzip' compression.  Again, this is done
by having those users setup MCCOMPRESS to 'GZIP' in their
enviroment.  I made the needed change in 'mcidas' .cshrc
file; it tested fine.

While I was at it, I updated some of your client routing table
entries:

rainbow:[43]% dataloc.k ADD PUB SATEPSANONE.NESDIS.NOAA.GOV
rainbow:[45]% dataloc.k ADD EAST goeseast.unidata.ucar.edu
rainbow:[46]% dataloc.k ADD WEST goeswest.unidata.ucar.edu
rainbow:[47]% dataloc.k ADD SOUTH goessouth.unidata.ucar.edu
rainbow:[49]% dataloc.k ADD BLIZZARD stratus.al.noaa.gov
rainbow:[50]% dataloc.k ADD RTGRIBS stratus.al.noaa.gov

rainbow:[51]% dataloc.k LIST

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
AMRC                         UWAMRC.SSEC.WISC.EDU
BLIZZARD                     STRATUS.AL.NOAA.GOV
CIMSS                        RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
EAST                         GOESEAST.UNIDATA.UCAR.EDU
GINICOMP                     RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
GINIEAST                     RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
GINIWEST                     RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
GOESEAST                     UNIDATA2.SSEC.WISC.EDU
ME7                          IO.SCA.UQAM.CA
MYDATA                       <LOCAL-DATA>
NEXRCOMP                     RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
PUB                          SATEPSANONE.NESDIS.NOAA.GOV
RTGINI                       <LOCAL-DATA>
RTGRIBS                      STRATUS.AL.NOAA.GOV
RTGRIDS                      RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
RTIMAGES                     RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
RTNEXRAD                     RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
RTPTSRC                      RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
RTWXTEXT                     RAINBOW.AL.NOAA.GOV
SOUTH                        GOESSOUTH.UNIDATA.UCAR.EDU
TOPO                         <LOCAL-DATA>
WEST                         GOESWEST.UNIDATA.UCAR.EDU

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data directory.
DATALOC -- done

Last comment:

- I see that you are running an old version of McIDAS, v2005:

  lrwxrwxrwx  1 mcidas unidata     9 May  7 13:55 linux -> linux2005

  It would probably be a good idea to upgrade to a current version
  of McIDAS.  The current release is now v2009.

Ticket ID: UZC-113051
Department: Support McIDAS