[McIDAS #JGK-752960]: converting McIDAS-AREA to Geotiff 16-bit

Hi Ammarin,

re:
> My name is Ammarin Makkeasorn. I am a post-doc at the University of
> Central Florida.
>
> Currently, I try to convert the GOES-12 data from McIDAS to Geotiff
> using NOAA JAVA tool.

What is the source of McIDAS images you have?  (I am trying to ascertain
if you have 1-byte or 2-byte images).

> The output data were Geotiff 8-bit, which impose
> some errors in our ET calculations. Can we convert McIDAS to Geotiff
> 16-bit using McIDAS-V or McIDAS-X?

I believe that you can do this in McIDAS-X, but I have never done it
myself (I just scanned the code and see no automatic conversion from
2 or 4 byte data to 1 byte).  I believe that the process would be
something like:

- remap the original 2-byte GOES-12 image into RECTilinear projection
  (the McIDAS-X output GeoTIFF server requires this projection)

- use the IMGCOPY command to copy the remapped input image into
  a GeoTIFF ADDE dataset (which you would need to define)

Ticket ID: JGK-752960
Department: Support McIDAS