[McIDAS #ILG-344253]: access to mcidas

Hi Vihang,

re:
> I am a postgrad student and UNSW@ADFA. I am currenly enrolled for PhD course
> in physical oceanography. Just wondering, I could download McIDAS software
> for data analysis and its usefulness. I am currently using GRADS for this
> purpose and looking for some advanced software for data analysis. I have
> registered as address@hidden and address@hidden as well
> however, neighther of the account enables me to access the software.

Unidata has long been licensed to distribute our version of McIDAS, Unidata
McIDAS, to educational institutions.  Fairly recently SSEC refined their
definition of allowable use of McIDAS at institutions outside of the U.S..
I am required now to have you read and agree to the following:

In order to allow non-'.edu' users (users whose email addresses do not end
in '.edu') to have access to our distribution of McIDAS-X, we are required
by SSEC, the owners/developers of McIDAS, to have those users agree to the
following:

  SSEC considers permissible users of the international university community
  to be those who are using McIDAS-X for academic classroom instruction or
  academic research by students related to obtaining a degree. Research
institutes
  and government agencies that use McIDAS-X for meteorological research or
  operations must purchase a license from SSEC for the non-academic use. Given
  this clarification, and if Unidata users remain within the licensing terms
  that include no re-distribution of any portion of the software, SSEC is
agreeable
  to providing this software to the international university Unidata user
community.

So, we need a clear statement from you that specifies all of the following:

- you are accessing McIDAS from Unidata for use in a university
- McIDAS must be used for academic classroom instruction or academic research
  by students related to obtaining a degree
- your installation of McIDAS is not for use by a government agency,
non-academic
  research institute, or private concern
- you agree that you will not re-distribute any portion of the software

As soon as you let us know that your use of Unidata McIDAS will conform to the
items above, we will add your  email address address@hidden to the list
that allows downloading of Unidata McIDAS.

I firmly believe that you/UNSW@ADFA meet the conditions above.  All I need
now is your statement that you agree to the restrictions.  As soon as I have
your reply that you meet the conditions, we will add your
'address@hidden' email address to the list of non-.edu users
allowed to access Unidata McIDAS-X.

I apologize for this hassle!

Ticket ID: ILG-344253