[McIDAS #JBI-672651]: Expanding widow of death

Hi Mike,

re:
> I am building MCIDAS for the first time. Everything seemed to
> go OK when I ran the makefile. I set myself up as a user. From an
> ubuntu system, I used ssh -X to log onto the host (uila.soest.hawaii.edu)
> and typed "mcidas" at the command line.

OK so far.  I typically use the 'ssh -XY' invocation instead of
simply 'ssh -X', but I don't think that this has anything to do
with the problem you are experiencing.

> Up came a nice MCIDAS GUI window, then something strange
> happened. The window started expanding all by itself. It went
> beyond the limits of my screen, then it filled with a bunch of
> strange colored lines and crashed.

This is a race condition that I have seen before, typically when running
in the KDE environment on Linux.  I can't recall seeing this behavior
when running under Gnome on Linux.

I think what is happening is that the logic in the gui (MCGUI?) is
resizing the gui wrapper around the McIDAS image window.  The resize
action is being continuously re-activated because of some lag in the
communication between the machine you are running on and the machine
that is actually running the code.

Questions:

- did you try running McIDAS in the same way again?

  I have sometimes found that a subsequent invocation does not exhibit
  the resizing problem.

- have you tried running McIDAS from the system console on uila?

- what is the X window manager in effect from the session you are trying
  to start McIDAS from?  (e.g., KDE, Gnome, etc.)

> I have attached the makelog. Hope you can help me figure out what is wrong.

I believe that the makelog will show nothing that will be helpful. The
problem is being caused by a race condition in the logic that resizes
the gui wrapping the McIDAS image window.

I just took a look through the MCGUI code and do not see an obvious
tweak that can be made.  Give this, I would appreciate if you would
try to start McIDAS in the same way more than once (if you haven't
already, that is).

Ticket ID: JBI-672651