[McIDAS #CGI-449682]: Problem with xcdscour

Hi Martha,

re:
> We are having problems using xcdscour to clean out our BUFR files on our
> NOAAP XCD system.
>
> The script is exiting with messages like
>
> xcdscour Begin scouring BUFR files at 20090317.122001
> /usr/local/ldm/bin/xcdscour[178]: rm: Argument list too long
> /usr/local/ldm/bin/xcdscour[178]: rm: Argument list too long xcdscour
> End scouring BUFR files at 20090317.122011
>
> This is even with us running xcdscour 4 times per day.

Wow!  I had a suspicion that the approach SSEC took in 'xcdscour' might
run into some problems, but I had not run into it as I am not ingesting
the CONDUIT data.

> I have compensated by writing a script that uses a find command to
> locate BUFR files created in the previous 24 hours, piping that to a
> file Then using "xargs rm" with that file the input for the xargs
> command.  Note that this has started occuring since we started
> processing CONDUIT feed data, and also note that using yesterday as an
> example, over 10,000 BUFR files were created.

I imagine that 'xcdscour' could be modified to use the 'xargs' approach
also.  I will put this on my list of things to investigate.

> This may have to do with the x64 vs x32 for our noaapxcd system.

I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

> As I said, I have a work-around but I know that not using xcdscour can
> cause issues with the MySQL database in the case of GRIB, and I wanted
> to Bring it to your attention in case the same thing is true for
> BUFR data.

Thanks for reporting this!

Ticket ID: CGI-449682