[McIDAS #STG-808468]: Conversion of mcidas area to shapefile format

Hi Randy,

re:
> Is there a list of model data that is routinely available from the
> noaaport.

Unfortunately, no.  The NWS publishes a list of WMO ids for the various
data broadcast in NOAAPort, but not an explanation for what those data
are.

> Also, is the data now decoded and stored in grib2 format?

Decoding and storage is a job for the receiving site.  Unidata ingests
data available in the IDD and makes it available through several mechanisms:

- THREDDS catalogs
- RAMADDA (*new*)
- McIDAS ADDE

You can take a look at all three of these methods on our 'motherlode' server:

motherlode.ucar.edu - THREDDS and RAMADDA
adde.ucar.edu       - McIDAS ADDE.  Model data can be found in the RTGRIBS and
                      RTGRIB2 datasets

> I am particularly interested in whether the NCEP GEFS and SREF data are
> available on noaaport.

The GEFS and SREF model fields are available in the IDD.  SREF model data is
available in the IDD NGRID datastream.  The GEFS data is also available, but
I am not positive if it is in the NGRID or CONDUIT datastreams.  NGRID is
populated by 'nwstg2' GRIB2 products from NOAAPort; CONDUIT is an IDD feed
of NCEP high-resolution model data (i.e., these fields are NOT in NOAAPort).

One way to get an idea of what is available in an IDD datafeed is to use
the LDM utility 'notifyme' and save the output into a log file.  For
instance, try the following:

<as user 'ldm'>
notifyme -vxl logs/ngrid.log -f NGRID -h idd.unidata.ucar.edu

Let this notifyme command run for at least a full day, and then look through
the file ~ldm/logs/ngrid.log to see the list of product IDs that were seen.
Of course, you can substitute any of the valid IDD datafeed names for NGRID:

notifyme -vxl logs/conduit.log -f CONDUIT -h idd.unidata.ucar.edu
notifyme -vxl logs/hrs.log -f HRS -h idd.unidata.ucar.edu
etc.

> Thanks,

No worries.  It was good to see you in Phoenix!

Ticket ID: STG-808468
Department: Support McIDAS