[McIDAS #EXQ-796373]: McIDAS install

Hi again Paul,

I logged onto climate.cod.edu and did some poking around to see if I could
figure out why your crontab-initiated satellite plotting scripts are not
working.
What I found is that the McBASI scripts you are trying to run:

GETEAST.MCB
GETWEST.MCB
GETMISC.MCB
GETOCEAN.MCB

are nowhere to be found.

Here is the list of directories searched by the various kickoff scripts by
setting of the MCPATH environment variable:

kickoff:
MCHOME=/home/mcidas
MCDATA=$MCHOME/workdata
MCPATH=${MCDATA}:$MCHOME/data:$MCHOME/help:$MCHOME/workdata/cod:$MCHOME/batches

eastkickoff:
MCHOME=/home/mcidas
MCDATA=$MCHOME/workdata
MCPATH=${MCDATA}:$MCHOME/data:$MCHOME/help:$MCHOME/workdata/cod:$MCHOME/batches

westkickoff:
MCHOME=/home/mcidas
MCDATA=$MCHOME/workdata
MCPATH=${MCDATA}:$MCHOME/data:$MCHOME/help:$MCHOME/workdata/cod:$MCHOME/batches

misckickoff:
MCHOME=/home/mcidas
MCDATA=$MCHOME/workdata
MCPATH=${MCDATA}:$MCHOME/data:$MCHOME/help:$MCHOME/workdata/cod:$MCHOME/batches

oceankickoff:
MCHOME=/home/mcidas
MCDATA=$MCHOME/workdata
MCPATH=${MCDATA}:$MCHOME/data:$MCHOME/help:$MCHOME/workdata/cod:$MCHOME/batches

NB:

- the setting of MCPATH is the same in each kickoff script

- there is no $MCHOME/workdata/cod directory:

  @climate:~$ ls ~/workdata/cod
  ls: workdata/cod: No such file or directory

- the directory $MCHOME/batches has no McBASI scripts:

  address@hidden:~$ ls ~/batches/*.MCB
  ls: /home/mcidas/batches/*.MCB: No such file or directory

My guess is that there was a ~mcidas/workdata/cod directory on an old
incarnation of weather.cod.edu/climate.cod.edu, and that directory
had the McBASI scripts that are needed.

Also note that I did a bit of editing of the various kickoff scripts
and changed the invocations of the McBASI scripts.  Here is what the
crontab entries look like now:

# Satellite
1,16,31,46 * * * * /home/mcidas/eastkickoff GETEAST.MCB
/home/mcidas/logs/east.log
27,57 * * * * /home/mcidas/westkickoff GETWEST.MCB /home/mcidas/logs/west.log
29,59 * * * * /home/mcidas/misckickoff GETMISC.MCB /home/mcidas/logs/misc.log
36,06 * * * * /home/mcidas/oceankickoff GETOCEAN.MCB /home/mcidas/logs/ocean.log

Here is one of the kickoff scripts:

eastkickoff:

address@hidden:~$ cat eastkickoff
#!/bin/sh

SHELL=sh
export SHELL

# Set environment variables using Bourne shell syntax

MCHOME=/home/mcidas
MCDATA=$MCHOME/workdata
MCPATH=${MCDATA}:$MCHOME/data:$MCHOME/help:$MCHOME/workdata/cod:$MCHOME/batches

MCLOG=$2
# MCLOG=$MCDATA/crontab.log
MCTABLE_READ="${MCHOME}/workdata/EASTMCTABLE.TXT;${MCHOME}/data/ADDESITE.TXT"
MCTABLE_WRITE="${MCHOME}/workdata/EASTMCTABLE.TXT"

PATH=$MCHOME/bin:$PATH
# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/lib:$MCHOME/lib:/usr/lib

# export the environment variables so that they can be used

# export MCHOME MCDATA MCPATH MCTABLE_READ MCTABLE_WRITE PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export MCHOME MCDATA MCPATH MCTABLE_READ MCTABLE_WRITE PATH

# set logging of stdin and stdout to $MCLOG

exec 2>>$MCLOG 1>&2
#exec 2>$MCLOG 2>&1
#exec 2>/dev/null 1>&2

echo "Executing eastkickoff for file $1..."

# cd to $MCDATA and run the script whose name was passed in on the command line

cd $MCDATA
mcenv -i 128 -g 16 -f address@hidden -f address@hidden<< EOF
  run.k FILE=$1
  exit
EOF

# Done!
exit 0

Since I don't know where to look for the various McBASI scripts, there is not
much more I can do at the moment.

Ticket ID: EXQ-796373