[McIDAS #EUT-864314]: mcidas 2008 build problems

Hi Bill,

re:
> I performed the operations you suggest relative to the mcidas2008 directory.
> Originally I created an update directory  under Mcidas's home, but realized
> that couldn't be right after executing things.  So I put it under
> mcidas2008/update and re-ran ./mcupdate, then ch'd to ../src, etc.

Very good.

> The two MySQL lines in .bash_profle are commented out.  They were in my env
> for
> the very first make but caused an abort since no code/libraries were found.
> So, no, SQL is not set.

Also very good.

> The results of installing the mcupdate files is negative.  Same error as
> before.  I
> thought the dates on the update files were the same as the main release.
> Could be wrong.

OK, this means that I did not update the mcupdate.tar.gz file with the Tk mods
needed
for Fedora 9+.  I apologize for this.

> OK, I have attached this machine to the wired net.  ifconfig shows:
>
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr I delete
> inet addr:75.60.14.222  Bcast:75.60.14.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
> inet6 addr: fe80::208:74ff:fee4:1a2d/64 Scope:Link
> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> RX bytes:5920 (5.7 KiB)  TX bytes:6315 (6.1 KiB)
> Interrupt:11 Base address:0x4c00

Great. I was able to SSH to your machine as 'mcidas' this morning.

re: root access
> Probably more than you want responsibility for, but delete as needed.  Feel
> free to set up a bogus user to test installation.  Feel free to totally
> delete everything in user mcidas's directory.  At this point everything is
> in test-machine mode, and what's there is just junk (internet downloads of
> junk) or mcidas, none of which needs preserved until mcidas works.

After I logged on this morning, I updated the two Tk files that needed fixing
for the MouseWheel problem:

/home/mcidas/mcidas2008/tk/generic/tk.h
/home/mcidas/mcidas2008/tk/generic/tkBind.c

I then cleaned out the Tcl and Tk builds and remade McIDAS as follows:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd /home/mcidas/mcidas2008/tk/unix
make distclean
cd /home/mcidas/mcidas2008/tcl/unix
make distclean
cd /home/mcidas/mcidas2008/src
rm tclcomp .built*
make mcx
make install.mcxall

The distribution should be ready to test now.  I tried a quickie test
of the change (ran mcwish directly), and it seemed to work.  The problem
is that mcwish would run _sometimes_ on my Fedora 10 machine, and sometimes
it would hang.  I was not able to figure out if this was because my machine's
Fedora 10 installation was a result of OS upgrades (from Fedora Core 3 to 5
to Fedora 8 to 10), or is something peculiar with the version of Tcl/Tk that
I am currently bundling with McIDAS-X v2008 under Fedora 10, or if it something
specific to my machine.  This is why I am so interested in hearing your
experience
in running it on a clean Fedora 10 machine. I do know that the latest Tcl/Tk
distribution, 8.5.5, allows mcwish to be built and run consistently on my
machine, so I will be upgrading my distribution to this release.  The problem
I alluded to in my last email was that a construct I used in the MCGUI is
not allowed in the latest Tcl/Tk, but it works fine in the currently bundled
distribution.

> This is just sitting on my desk at home, and nobody needs to use machine
> or network. I'll log on periodically and check my email.

OK.  I will monitor email periodically throughout the day today (I am taking
the day off to get a 4-day weekend :-).  Please let me know if you can
consistently run McIDAS with the MCGUI interface.  Thanks!

Ticket ID: EUT-864314