[McIDAS #EUT-864314]: mcidas 2008 build problems

Hi Bill,

First, Happy New Year!

> My apologies if you get 3 versions of this--keep getting cut off.  Only one
> message intended under this title.

No worries, I only see one posting

> I just got a ?new? Dell Latitude c840 laptop and installed Fedora Core
> 10...and put down all the updates.  Then got mcidas and attempted an
> install.  Once again I THINK I've got things right, but, well, thinking
> is getting harder these days.
>
> Here's my MC env (all defaults):
> address@hidden workdata]$ env |grep MC
>
> MCHOME=/home/mcidas
> MCCOMPRESS=GZIP
> MCTABLE_WRITE=/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT
> MCDATA=/home/mcidas/workdata
> MCTABLE_READ=/home/mcidas/workdata/MCTABLE.TXT;/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT
> MCGUI=/home/mcidas/bin
> MCPATH=/home/mcidas/workdata:/home/mcidas/workdata:/home/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/help
>
> address@hidden workdata]$ env |grep Mc
> McINST_ROOT=/home/mcidas

This all looks correct.

> One problem was the things would not configure with VENDOR=-g77, apparently
> replaced by gfortran, so I used -gfortran.

Yup.  g77 is now a legacy compiler for Linux; gfortran has taken its place.

> After a couple of shortstops (MySQL doesn't exist I guess), make install.all
> doesn't work if you do a make mcx to begin with.

The distribution should only be built with MySQL support if one sets the MYSQL
environment variable running make.

Question:

- is MYSQL set in your 'mcidas' environment

> A make clean and some messing around finally led me to logoff, do a make
> clobber, and start over for a clean make mcx, make install.mcx.  This I
> believe I have.  Makelog does not show any errors I can find.

OK.

> Just as a quick test, I cd'd to workdata and typed mcidas.  I get the
> initialization widget and nothing else?it runs perpetually.  Below is
> the first block of text reported in the Linux terminal window:
>
> address@hidden workdata]$ mcidas
>
> Application initialization failed: Can't find a usable tk.tcl in the
> following directories:
>
> /home/mcidas/tcl/lib/tcl8.4/tk8.4 /home/mcidas/tcl/lib/tk8.4
> /home/mcidas/lib/tk8.4 /home/lib/tk8.4 /home/mcidas/library /home/library
> /home/tk8.4.15/library /tk8.4.15/library
> /home/mcidas/tcl/lib/tk8.4/tk.tcl: no event type or button # or keysym
> no event type or button # or keysym
> while executing
> "bind Listbox <MouseWheel> {
> %W yview scroll [expr {- (%D / 120) * 4}] units
> }"
> invoked from within
> "if {[tk windowingsystem] eq "classic" || [tk windowingsystem] eq "aqua"} {
> bind Listbox <MouseWheel> {
> %W yview scroll [expr {- (%D)}] uni..."
> (file "/home/mcidas/tcl/lib/tk8.4/listbox.tcl" line 181)
> invoked from within
> "source /home/mcidas/tcl/lib/tk8.4/listbox.tcl"
> (in namespace eval "::" script line 1)
> invoked from within
> "namespace eval :: [list source [file join $::tk_library $file.tcl]]"
> (procedure "SourceLibFile" line 2)
> invoked from within
> "SourceLibFile listbox"
> (in namespace eval "::tk" script line 4)
> invoked from within
> "namespace eval ::tk {
> SourceLibFile button
> SourceLibFile entry
> SourceLibFile listbox
> SourceLibFile menu
> SourceLibFile panedwindow
> SourceLibFile ..."
> invoked from within
> "if {$::tk_library ne ""} {
> if {$tcl_platform(platform) eq "macintosh"} {
> proc ::tk::SourceLibFile {file} {
> if {[catch {
> namespace eval :: ..."
> (file "/home/mcidas/tcl/lib/tk8.4/tk.tcl" line 407)
> invoked from within
> "source /home/mcidas/tcl/lib/tk8.4/tk.tcl"
> ("uplevel" body line 1)
> invoked from within
> "uplevel #0 [list source $file]"
>
> This probably means that tk wasn't installed properly.

This is an error that I fixed in the Tcl/Tk 84 code.  I am not sure at this
moment
(I am at home right now) if I have included this fix in a downloadable
addendum, but
I think I have.

> So I'm stymied.

The error you are seeing is a Tcl/Tk one.

> To get ahead of the game, if you wish access, we'll have to figure a way to
> get
> this connected to my DSL on a stable network connection?right now I'm
> piggybacking
> off my neighbor's wireless :), but we do have wired here.

It would be very helpful if I could logon to your machine.  Please let me know
if
you can get this setup.  In the interim, you can try downloading and installing
the latest addendum:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/update
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> .....
  <pass> .....
  cd unix/2008/bugfix
  binary
  get mcupdate.tar.gz
  quit

./mcupdate

cd ../src
rm tclcomp .built*
make mcx
make install.mcx

This should work _if_ I have, in fact updated the FTP site's content.
Just so you know, I am in the process of upgrading the McIDAS v2008
distribution to work with Tcl/Tk 8.5.5.  This will take some time as
a construct I used in the Unidata GUI (MCGUI), needs to be completely
redone.  I have not had enough time to concentrate on this work lately,
but it is on my list of things to do.

> Tanks in advance for the help.

No worries.

Please give the addendum test above a try and let me know if things
work.  They may not -- I have had some strange problems on my Fedora
10 development system --; things work nicely under Fedora 9.  Your
test would help me determine if the problem I am seeing is restricted
to my machine or is generally related to Fedora 10.

Ticket ID: EUT-864314