[McIDAS #ZOK-961273]: Compiling McIdas - not as user mcidas?

Hi Mike,

re:
> I need to compile the mcidas library for linking from some apps. We are
> running Debian Linux version 4.0.
>
> I downloaded McIdas 2008, created a mcidas account and got it to compile
> fine under that account.

Very good.  Presumably you followed the procedures listed in the Unidata
McIDAS-X
Users Guide for setting up entries in your shell-specific definition file (e.g.,
.cshrc for C Shell users; .bash_profile for BASH, etc.)?

> However, having to operate under a separate mcidas account, just for
> compiling etc., is not ideal, so I tried the same operation under my own
> account,

The only thing 'magical' about an account named 'mcidas' is that several things
in McIDAS will default to one or more directories under ~mcidas unless "told"
not
to do so.

> setting my environment as follows:
>
> setenv McINST_ROOT /d3/dixon/downloads/mcidas
> setenv VENDOR -gfortran
> setenv MCHOME $HOME/mcidas
> setenv MCDATA /d3/dixon/data/mcidas

I believe you need to follow the same procedure that is defined in the Unidata
McIDAS-X users guide.

In particular:

- since you are essentially saying that you want McIDAS installed in the 'dixon'
  account, MCHOME is likely to be needed to be defined as
$HOME/downloads/mcidas OR $HOME

- the recommended additions to one's shell-specific definition file (again,
.cshrc for C
  Shell, .bash_profile for BASH, etc.) force the sourcing of files that define
all of
  the needed environment variables upon login.  One of the environment
variables defined
  is CC; another is CXX (set to blank since McIDAS does not use C++ bindings
for any
  routines); another is FC; etc.  These are defined so builds can be done
easily.  Your
  success building as the user 'mcidas' attests to this.

> The compile starts fine.
>
> However, the compile for tiff fails. I have attached the makelog, which
> contains the line:
>
> "Using /usr/lib/gcc for a C compiler (use -with-CC=compilername to
> override)."

I also see another problem:

make[2]: Entering directory `/d3/dixon/downloads/mcidas/mcidas2008/tiff/port'
/usr/lib/gcc -O -I. -I../port -c -o strcasecmp.o strcasecmp.c
make[2]: execvp: /usr/lib/gcc: Permission denied
make[2]: *** [strcasecmp.o] Error 127

This seems to say that /usr/lib/gcc can not be execed.

> Can you suggest how I might get around this?

Try following the instructions from the Users Guide.  Since you are doing the
build
in your own account (or elsewhere), you will need to modify the additions you
make
to your shell-definition file.

Questions:

- are you attempting to build McIDAS in your own account

- if yes, is the HOME directory of your account /d3/dixon/downloads

- if now, what is the setup for the account you are trying to use

Ticket ID: ZOK-961273
Department: Support McIDAS