[McIDAS #EAZ-791845]: McX2007

Hi HP,

re:
> I have now a fully working system on my new notebook, including access
> to native files by IDV.

Excellent!

> Linking IDV through xinetd was somewhat painful,
> however. Running mcinet2007.sh  we (Marianne and me) got the message
> that /etc/hosts.allow cannot be edited (although the write access for
> was well enabled). However, manually the files was editable and with
> brute force we added the line (copying from Marianne's machine), and lo
> and behold it worked!

This is interesting and unexpected.

> Any clue what could prevent the editing of a file with write access for
> the world?

The only thing that comes to mind is that you tried to run mcinet2007.sh
as some user other than 'root'.  mcinet2007.sh _must_ be run as 'root'
because it needs to modify things that only 'root' can change.  Here
is the correct sequence:

<as 'root'>

-- create the user 'mcadde' (if it does not already exist) and make sure
   that it has the same HOME directory as the user 'mcidas' AND does not
   have a login shell

cd ~mcidas
sh ./mcinet2007.sh install mcadde
exit

When I say run as 'root', I mean that one must really be 'root'.  If
using 'su' to be come 'root', one must make sure to do:

su - root

I have never run into problems when running 'mcinet2007.sh' as 'root'
even in the openSUSE 10.3 virtual machine running inside of VMware
Player under Windows XP on my laptop.

Ticket ID: EAZ-791845