[McIDAS #NJD-528776]: GINI Sounder Cloud Top Pressure image

Hi Kevin,

re:
> Thanks for your efforts.

No worries.  I am as interested as you in getting to the bottom of the
issues you have brought to my attention.  In particular, I have been
trying to find out where CIMSS is now hosting their CTP products so
that they can be sent in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream as before
(the ADDE server that once held realtime CTP images is no longer being
updated).

> I'm reasonably confident now that the pixel
> values below 76 indicate clear skies, so I'm going with that.

I think that the "real" answer is related to the comment on the
CIMSS page:

   "... Due to the low-level atmospheric signal being dominated by
    surface emissions, this technique is less reliable for near
    surface clouds."

> The only
> lingering issue is that at times, some of the sectors that make up the
> composite "super-national" image appear not to be updated from hour to
> hour.  When this occurs, one notes that while most of the domain shows
> the cloud features propagating, one part will be stationary over two
> frames (hours).  Obviously, this occurs well "upstream" of Unidata's
> realm.  Curiously, I do not see this occur on the analagous loop from
> the CIMMS site from U. Wisc.

The images being sent over NOAAPort are not created at CIMSS.  CIMSS
research that leads to the generation of new products that are of
interest/use to the operational forecaster gets adopted at some point
and "operationalized".  The generation of the products moves from
CIMSS to ESPC (used to be SATEPS).  This is the reason that the images
from CIMSS can look different than the ones being sent in NOAAPort.

> You can check out a real-time loop of this product at
> www.atmos.albany.edu/products/satctp/animate.gif . . .  I hope to rig up
> similar loops for the other sounder-based derived products.

Very nice!

Ticket ID: NJD-528776
Department: Support McIDAS