[McIDAS #XOH-126457]: non-US university access to Unidata McIDAS

Hi Narisara,

re:
> I've tried to download MCIDas from your website but got the
> error message that I'm not authorized to access this data.
> It said that if the suufix of my email address is not .edu
> ,I have to contact  support staff. Would you mind to help me in this issue?
> The suffix of academic institute outside US is .ac.xx.

I heard back from SSEC regarding distribution Unidata McIDAS to
universities outside of the US.  We are allowed to do this if
the following is true:

  SSEC considers permissible users of the âinternational university
communityâ
  to be those who are using McIDAS-X for academic classroom instruction or
  academic research by students related to obtaining a degree. Research
institutes
  and government agencies that use McIDAS-X for meteorological research or
  operations must purchase a license from SSEC for the non-academic use.  Given
  this clarification, and if Unidata users remain within the licensing terms
  that include no re-distribution of any portion of the software, SSEC is
agreeable
  to providing this software to the international university Unidata user
community.

So, we need a clear statement from you that specifies the following:

- you are accessing McIDAS from Unidata for use in a university
- McIDAS must be used for academic classroom instruction or academic research
  by students related to obtaining a degree
- your installation of McIDAS is not for use by a government agency,
non-academic
  research institute, or private concern
- you agree that you will not re-distribute any portion of the software

Also, please provide the URL for your university department's website

Thanks in advance...

> Regards,
> Narisara
>

> --
> Dr. Narisara Thongboonchoo
> Dept. of Chemical Engineering
> Faculty of Engineering
> King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Ladkrabang
> Chalongkrung Rd, Ladkrabang
> Bangkok 10520, Thailand
> Tel: 02-739-2418
> Fax: 02-739-2418 ext 4