[McIDAS #NJD-528776]: GINI Sounder Cloud Top Pressure image

Hi Kevin,

re:
> I'm working with these raw products (e.g. WMO ID TIGN27).  While I can
> display them fine with programs such as McIDAS, I am thus far at a loss to
> discover a means of converting the raw pixel data to pressure units.
> IMGPROB output reveals data in four units:  RAW, BRIT, VIP, and ECHO.
> The three former units appear to be just the raw pixel values and are
> equivalent.  ECHO is in DBZ.

You have discovered a bug in the server for these data products.  I will
need to find the bug and fix it in a McIDAS addendum.

> Any ideas as to how to extract the pressure
> level of the detected cloud tops?

Yes.  The mapping of RAW/BRIT values (they are the same for these products)
to cloud top pressure [mb] is defined by the CTP.ST stretch table that
is included in Unidata McIDAS.  Here is a listing of CTP.ST:

SU TABLE CTP
BREAKPOINTS STORED IN TABLE : CTP.ST
INPUT       OUTPUT
-----       ------
 150           255
 950           76
CALIBRATION TYPE  : CTOP
CALIBRATION UNITS : mb
BAND NUMBER       : -1
INTERPOLATION TYPE: LIN
SU: DONE

I have included a McIDAS GIF image of a NOAAPort GINI West CTP product that
is annontated with a data bar that graphically shows the relationship between
display values (colors) and pressures.

> I have looked for the analagous AREA format product (product code "CA") on
> our UNIWISC feed, but it appears this is not being received (we are,
> though receiving most other Sounder products on that LDM feed).

Hmm... I had not realized that the CTP products had stopped being sent in the
Unidata-Wisconsin datastream.  This is another thing I will need to investigate.

> Thanks!

No worries.  Thanks for reporting the problems!

Ticket ID: NJD-528776