[Support #CEU-773972]: TCS-08: real-time mcidas images

Hi Shuyi,

re:
> Thank you so much for your help on the Unidata MCIDAS data site.

No worries.

> It's good to know that we have a free access to the datasets.

The ADDE access to near real-time data was setup in conjunction with
SSEC, but outside of their Data Center for the Unidata community some
time ago.  To date, not many sites have taken advantage of the service.

> For our
> cluster tracking, we only need the IR full resolution (4-km) data.
> So either the IDD feed at RSMAS or Unidata university site should be
> good enough. We will check on the data unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu site.

OK.  You might need to use the images in the EAST and/or WEST datasets
since the sectors sent in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream (IDD feedtype
UNIWISC (aka MCIDAS)) may not include as much coverage over the oceans
as you need.

In addition to the near-realtime data on unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu, we
maintain a real-time GOES-East ingest capability on goeseast.unidata.ucar.edu.
As with unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu, the ADDE dataset group name is EAST.

> One question we have is how best to use the McIDAS data directly
> to get a IR Tbb image on Mercator projection that our software can read
> (since GEMPAK can't do it).

What is an IR 'Tbb' image? (I don't understand 'Tbb').

> I think Ed Ryan from RSMAS may have asked you about this, but we still
> have not able to resolve it yet.  Would you please point us to a
> specific McIDAS data processing software that can help us to do this?

I can help you or Ed get this working to your satisfaction.  It will take
a little bit of effort on your/Ed's part if you are not familiar with
McIDAS, but it is not difficult at all.

First step:

- do you have an account on metofis.rsmas.miami.edu

If the answser is yes, then you should read through the Unidata McIDAS-X
Users Guide to learn how to setup a user account to use McIDAS.  After
your account is setup (3-5 minutes of effort), then I can guide you through
the process of creating MERCator projection sectors of whatever size you
want over whatever area you need.

Ticket ID: CEU-773972
Department: Support McIDAS