[Support #CEU-773972]: TCS-08: real-time mcidas images

Hi Shuyi,

re:
> We are adapting the cloud cluster tracking software TC genesis
> for TCS-08 in real-time. We got the W-Pac IR data through a JMA site.
> For the GOES data (we like to get the tracking from W-Atl/E-Pac to W-Pac),
> we get some mcidas images through Unidata/Gempack, but not very high-res
> and no information on the real-time data format.

Just so you know, the GOES image sectors RSMAS is receiving in the
Unidata-Wisconsin datastream (IDD feed type UNIWISC, aka MCIDAS) are
the full resolution (typically 4 km) for IR channels.  They are not, however,
full resolution for the visible channel (0.65 um).  The other thing that
probably limits their use to you is that they are not full scans, they
are sectors.

> Can you help to send/point me to some information on read/process
> the real-time mcidas data? Also, do you have a real-time data feed
> for Atlantic and Pacific?

I see where Rick Kohrs pointed you to the SSEC Data Center for information
on access to realtime GOES imagery.  Have you contacted the Data Center
folks for this access?

Just so you know, full GOES-East/West data is available in near realtime
by remote access using McIDAS ADDE from a server on a Unidata machine that
is hosted in the SSEC Data Center, unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu.  Access to these
data are free to Unidata university sites, so you may consider using this for
your project.  The relevant information for the two datasets is:

ADDE group name       ADDE server
EAST                  unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu
WEST                  unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu

If you are familiar with McIDAS, setting up transfer of the image data is
accomplished using the IMGCOPY comand from the ADDE dataset(s) on
unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu
to a local dataset on your machine.

Please let me know if you have any questions...

Ticket ID: CEU-773972
Department: Support McIDAS